fifteen.

"Smudged Ink"

KINLEY ADAMS

I sat between Harry and Draco during double Charms. Toads were collected on every desk as Professor Flitwick was teaching the silencing charm as today's lesson.

I fumbled with my toad, trying to keep it from leaping off my desk.

Seeing him, Malfoy, in class the next day was odd, and almost uncomfortable considering the situation in the courtyard. The pulse beneath my chest grew stronger as I remembered the way his hand gripped on my thigh and the sweet taste of his lips. Was he truly there or was it just a figment of my imagination? It couldn't have been in my head. It was too real. I glanced at Draco. He seems as if he has no clue about it yet all the knowledge in the world. His expression was very unreadable — as it always is.

I inched my chair closer to Harry in attempt to avoid Draco.

"Hi, Harry."

"Hello, Kinley," he said while focusing significantly on the parchment in front of him and not at all on his toad.

"What is that?" I leaned closer to examine the ink. The headline read MASS BREAKOUT FROM AZKABAN.

"Daily Prophet from yesterday morning." He grabbed the parchment and crumbled it in his fist, tucking it away in his pocket. "Says several high-security prisoners escaped from Azkaban the other night. Bellatrix Lestrange being one of them."

I heard Draco almost choke as Harry finished his sentence. I could feel his eyes drift towards us as he listened in to the conversation.

"What? How could that happen when there are dementors guarding it all night and day?"

"Voldemort, I believe," Harry whispered.

"Your head is too far up your arse, Potter." Draco sneered, leaning into me to talk to Harry. "The Dark Lord couldn't do that." He said it as if he was trying to convince himself.

"Sod off, Malfoy." I pushed against his shoulder with mine.

"Voldemort's back, Malfoy," Harry hissed. "He's been back... for a while. I'm sure your father already knows much about it considering the mark seared into his left forearm."

Draco tore his wand from his sleeve and seconds before he could hex Harry, Professor Flitwick confiscated his wand. ("You'll get it back after class, Mr. Malfoy. Charms class is not an excuse to perform dark charms, such as that hex you were about to cast.")

Draco sneered at all three of us.

I turned back to Harry, unamused. "Continue."

"I was with the Order last night," he whispered. "Every prisoner that escaped were deatheaters, and Fudge is claiming Sirius is behind it all and that after him, the prisoners broke out themselves. Obviously that's a bunch of rubbish. We think Voldemort went to Azkaban himself and freed them."

"But how is that possible? Maybe this is a hunch, but, wouldn't it make more sense if the dementors freed them? It feels almost impossible that Voldemort would have gone to Azkaban and no one saw him."

"That was brought up during the meeting, but they're the ones guarding Azkaban, yeah? Why would the dementors let them out?" Harry questioned intriguingly.

I shrugged my shoulders. "Perhaps Voldemort made a deal with them of some sort."

"Like what?"

"I'm not sure." I glanced around the room to make sure no one was listening to the conversation. Malfoy was still agitated over his wand so I wasn't sure if he cared enough to pay attention to Harry and I anymore.