three.

"Awkward Encounters"

KINLEY ADAMS

I woke up the next morning to Weebles 'whoing' like an alarm clock. The sun caught my eye as it peered through the slightly opened curtains. I found myself being awfully tired still. As I opened my eyes a little wider I could see a blurred silhouette of Hermione sitting at the end of my bed.

"Finally, you're awake. Where were you last night!?" she huffed. "You had me worried sick. I was up all night waiting for you to come back into our dormitory. I even checked the common room!" She seemed worried yet looked relieved that I was okay.

"Well, if you looked a little past the common room — like outside the door — you would've found me, and Ron, even." I croaked, still trying to wake up.

She gave me a sideways look, "What do you mean?"

I sat up and leaned against the wooden backboard of my four-poster. "Last night Ron and I went for a walk just to catch up and we ended up forgetting the password to get back in. We sat out there for an extra hour and a half before Percy let us back in," I started getting annoyed just thinking about the situation. "The fat lady doesn't care for shit though I'll tell you that. She knows damn well Ron and I are Gryffindor's but it's 'safety protocol' (I mocked) so, I guess I can't blame her."

I don't think I've ever talked so much in the morning.

"Oooo, you and Ronald?" she mocked me. "How was that?"

"Sheesh Hermione, I tell you I was locked out of the room for almost two hours and all you recollected from that story was the Ron part," We laughed slightly. "But anyway, it was really nice," my cheeks started to turn pink.

"Oh I bet," she said grinning widely. She pressed her lips together and the corners of her mouth rose.

"Did you guys...do it?" Her expression grew serious. "Because you'd be mad to do something like that in the corridors after hours! Someone, like Filch, is going to find you and you're going to be expelled, you cant just —"

"Bloody hell, Hermione," I said wide-eyed. "We snogged and that's it, Percy interrupted us before we could even think about taking it further anyway."

"Well good, I wouldn't want you getting expelled the first day. But, it's good that you two were able to spend at least some time together," she put her hand on my knee and smiled.

"Yeah I love that boy, I really do," I dropped my head to face my thighs and smiled.

Her pupils dilated, "Have you told him that yet?" She became adamantly focused on what was about to come out of my mouth.

"I mean I always show him how much I care for him but, no, I haven't brought myself to say those words yet," She could tell I seemed off because of my non-expressive face.

"Well, why not? What's wrong?" She asked curiously.

"I don't know, it's just, what if he doesn't say it back? Like what if I were to pour my heart out and I get a 'thank you' or like a 'you too'? I just don't know when the right time is," I started to get antsy and I was finally feeling wide awake.

"I think if you love him, you should tell him. As unfortunate as it is, you never know if the next time you see him will be your last. I just think it's important to think about. If you have the chance, do it now, if it's what will make you happy," Her face grew blank and the corners of her mouth started to drop but she tried to hide it with a weak smile.

"Are you alright, 'Mione?" I spoke softly, my eyes wandering her face trying to figure out what was wrong.

"Yeah I'm okay, really, let's not make this about me," she had a fake smile. "Go tell Ron you love him."