two.

"The Empty Corridor"

KINLEY ADAMS

Finally, after months of suffocating in the non-magical world, I have arrived at Hogwarts. I feel most like myself at Hogwarts, where everything is magical and feels so... comforting. I didn't like not being able to use magic back in the muggle world. Not that underage sorcery no longer applies to me, it's that my parents didn't like it much — at least not as much as they used to.

I didn't like being back at my house much for my immediate family were muggles. My grandparents, on the other hand, were wizards. The most wicked wizards from what I've been told.

Unfortunately, I don't remember much of my grandparents because they passed while I was at a very young age. It was difficult for me to connect with the wizard portion of my family. The most I knew from them was that they were both Slytherins. Most of the wizards in my family were. I, on the other hand, was not.

After walking through Hogwarts corridors and up many staircases, I arrived at Gryffindor tower. I was welcomed by a roaring fire and thick scarlet armchairs. On the fireplace mantle sat a framed portrait of a lion. The place hasn't changed much since the years I've been here, it just grew more familiar, and like home.

"Welcome back, Ms. Adams." McGonagall said while looking down at me with a smile.

"Nice seeing you again, Professor."

"Kinley, let's go to our dorm." Hermione pulled my wrist and we ran up the staircase that led to the girls' dormitories.

Stepping into the room I notice Lavender Brown, my other roommate, unpacking her bags. Ever since I started dating Ron she hasn't been as fond of me. In fact, when I talk about him whenever she's around she snickers.

The jealously really gets to her head.

I try to keep Ron's name out of my mouth around her though because she tends to get very emotional, and will cry hysterically if you say the wrong thing to her. She usually hangs away from the dorm for the most part and is only in here if she truly needs something.

"Hi Lav! I see you're already settling in," I smiled.

"Yeah, I figured I'd get here quicker this time so I could get first choice on my four-poster since you both always try to get the best of the bunch," she eyed the two of us.

Hermione and I glanced over at each other in confusion. I walked into the room that we share so it was so unnecessary for her to speak waspishly.

"You know Lavender, we're all staying in this room, together, so we can compromise on the things that happen in here. It's not that big of a deal,the four-posters are the same." I tried to say calmly, easing my temper.

"Yeah Lav, its just a bed, honestly, it's not something to argue over," Hermione backed me up.

Lavender stood there glancing at both of us who were standing on the opposite side of the four-poster bed.

"Whatever," she began walking towards the door, "I'm going to check out the boys dormitories," she said while skipping away smiling.

I rolled my eyes, grinning. She always needed to be the center of someone's attention. After unpacking, I took the bed nearest the window and Hermione took the one next to me. I am still soaking in the fact that I'm back at Hogwarts.

"So Kinley,' Hermione nudged my arm, 'now that we're all back here and you get to be with Ronald 24/7, do you have any plans for tonight?" she bit her lip and consecutively lifted her eyebrows.