24 | A Helmet's Shadow

"The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on

"The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on."

― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

。↷ ✧*̥₊˚‧☆ミ

Nuenen, Holland

September 18th, 1944

1300

49 days since the Uprising

Natia continued her run until she reached the outskirts of the town, hopping down into one of the retreating dikes, where plenty of other soldiers were quickly retreating.

Lieutenant Compton was in front of her, she could tell by his height - it was the little things at this point she could pick up on. But suddenly, a sound like something ripping through uniform and flesh echoed and Natia watched Lieutenant Compton fall to the ground with a painful groan, collapsing into a figure in front of him. Another red-head, the one who was singing with his two buddies that morning and properly annoying the hell out of her.

" Medic!" he called, his voice still that of a very boyish tone as he pulled his helmet onto his head. Another man came running forward, the other one who had sat with the red head that very morning, as Natia grunted and hurriedly crawled forward, coming upon the wounded Lieutenant - it had gone through the butt, she could tell. Position and everything.

" Where you are hit, Lieutenant?" Natia called as she collapsed at his side, hands immediately searching for where the bullet had entered. The two men, beside the wounded Lieutenant, looked towards her for a moment, almost not registering what they were hearing or who they were seeing. But Natia didn't have time for that as she reached down to her pocket and pulled the only bandage she knew she could muster from her uniform and rightfully pressed it onto his butt as Lieutenant Compton barely even register it, looking at his shaking, blood-covered hand.

In almost an instance, Doc Roe was leaping in beside her and taking over as he pressed his hands quickly overtop of her own to apply even more pressure.

" Hey, Doc." Lieutenant Compton said, his voice trembling.

" Lieutenant." Doc Roe quickly responded, as he gave a quick nod to Natia as she pulled back, grimacing at the stinging of her hand yet again, before glancing towards the red-head who watched her, almost gently, with a youthful expression. He nodded to her briefly amidst the chaos and Natia softly nodded back.

" It's gone right through, Buck. Side to side, both cheeks." Doc Roe said as a whistle echoed overhead and Natia simply shut her eyes as it went off before reopening.

" Hey, how'd you know how to do that!" the other man asked, the friend of the red-head, briefly looking away from his position with his rifle towards her.