57 | The Puppet on Tethered Strings

"It is possible to be a puppet on a string without fully realizing it

"It is possible to be a puppet on a string without fully realizing it."

― Steven Redhead, Life Is A Cocktail  

。↷ ✧*̥₊˚‧☆ミ

Bastogne, Belgium 

December 23rd, 1944 

1030

Natia wondered if this was how the ocean breeze felt, standing near the edge of the sand, right before where the water would presumably run up along your toes. She wondered if you could feel so free yet so at peace all in one place. Her mind turned dark, nearly instantly - memories associated with the dark memories of war. 

Private Campbell, Solomon, he'd never get to feel the ocean breeze. Because of her. 

She grimaced to herself, her stomach coiling like some sort of snake inside her. She wondered how that felt, as the cool blast of winter air sent shocks up her entire system, forcing her to nuzzle her head into her collar a bit as she picked up her pace hurrying forward towards the crowd. 

Her eyes briefly caught upon Doc Roe, as if he were in a daze, stepping forward with his helmet having since been removed from his head and his satchel held tightly in his grasp, eyes off staring not really anywhere as she let her feet stop briefly in the center of the muddy road.

" Agent." a voice called and Natia turned her head for a moment to see Lip hurrying towards her, pushing his own helmet up and out of his eyes as he came closer to her, a couple of the replacements in the back, heaving up large arm loads of clothing, coats or boats tightly within their grasps. Natia watched Lip approach, his eyes trailing back towards where the other replacements were and a tiny smile appeared on her lips as she did so.

" We've gotten all we can - you manage to get yourself a bit warmer?" Lip asked her, holding his rifle across his body as she crossed her arms briefly over her chest for a moment and nodded to him.

" Yes." she said gently, her mind trailing to the poppy cloth securely tucked into the front of her ODs in this current moment, right beside the tattered photograph of her parents when the war had yet to touch them.

" Alright then, I think we're gonna head back now, pass what stuff we can out to the men and maybe send a few runners back to town to see if they can gather anything else." Lip said with a gentle smile, noticing the one on her own lips. Natia nodded, letting out a soft sigh, the bit of tension that had knotted up in her shoulders slowly falling briefly, when she could still breathe a bit of air without the suffocation of war to follow. It was quite nice if she could agree.

" Happy Birthday, Agent." Lip said quietly from beside her, as her eyes trailed over to his side profile as he stood, looking out towards the town previously bombed and covered in the plot of war besieged in their wake. Natia smiled gently and from under her helmet felt a bit of joy spark in her soul the slight bit.