85 | Guilt Never Seems to Leave

" You wanna remember the truth? Because I'm the monster

" You wanna remember the truth? Because I'm the monster. For all the pain we caused. Not the killer that little girl calls their hero. Everything I hate about myself comes from you. You took everything. What more could I lose?"

- Unknown

。↷ ✧*̥₊˚‧☆ミ

(A/N) HELLO! I AM BACK!! I am so incredibly sorry for my few months disappearance from this fic! I have just finished my last final of the semester for college and my year and let's just say it has been a *whirlwind* of a semester tbh lol! BUT, I AM BACK!! With school now over, I finally have time to write again!! It feels like it's been forever truly and I am so happy to be back! Natia's story has meant the world to me for a year and a half and I am excited to continue writing and telling her story more than anything!! There's just so much left to explore and write about! :) Thank you all for still sticking around, I know the disappearance was a bit uncalled for, but I really wanted to come back and finish this story. SO, here is an extra long chapter for all of you! We are back to weekly updates in the coming months! I'm putting a slight TW for this chapter for possible triggering topics that could revolve around the end of this chapter (and I always want to forewarn my readers bc I care about all your well-beings and this is a heavy fic!) Thank you all again and I hope you enjoy the chapter!

。↷ ✧*̥₊˚‧☆ミ

Fellbach, Germany

March 26, 1945

1300

A few meager hours of sleep had been managed after drinking scotch whiskey with Captain Nixon at 0300. And for once, it had seemed even as far of a stretch as an enjoyable night's sleep along with it, even if it had just been for a few hours. It was better than getting nothing.

Easy Company was loaded into the truck transports just a quarter to 0900 and were on the move 15 minutes later. A dull headache appeared behind her eyes as she sat there on the wooden bench, watching the landscape move by behind Webster's head in front of her. It was slightly overcast, there was a breeze that felt slightly warm but still managed to send goosebumps across her skin, and the gentle chatter of the men around her was more of a comfort now than anything.

They traveled for a few hours through German countryside, past signs warning of enemy territory, the French shooting Germans freshly captured, and sometimes even sharing the road with a different country's company; sometimes British, or a French division that was slinking back to go North.

Sometimes, it appeared beyond strange to Natia, that after 6 years, multiple, massive countries were now in Germany, after a war that Germany had started and was currently losing. It sometimes genuinely fascinated her beyond anything. Yet, by far, the most fascinating thing were the massive abundances of transports of American military equipment and men moving on both sides of the Autobahn under a massive bridge and the German army walking straight down the center, their men marching - almost proudly, confidently.