12 | The Masks of Vulnerability

" He composed himself inwardly

" He composed himself inwardly. Sparing the world his awkwardness, hiding vulnerability. Preserving his pride."

- Julie Anne Long

。↷ ✧*̥₊˚‧☆ミ

Warsaw, Poland - Headquarters - August 10th, 1944

1600

10 days since the Uprising

So far, each and every day in the Uprising had been the same - a few days had been normal, sneaking around for a few samplings of food in the early hours of the morning, until the Nazis began their rampant fire and Death would peer around a corner, silencing the screams of the innocent. He had that affect. It was quite the system. Other days had been sleepless, in firefights throughout the early hours of morning, hiding behind wooden barriers throughout Warsaw, Nazi tanks roaming the roads, curled under cover for hours.

" We're back!" Natia called as she pushed back the cloth curtain as they stepped into the dimly lit Underground bunker.

" Nat!' Ryzshard called, his voice popping out first out of the crowd. Natia's eyes lit up and within a second Ryzshard was flying into her arms.

Oh how good it felt to be hugged by your brother.

Natia wrapped her arms around him, nuzzling into his arms, hiding from the world for a moment, wishing to feel nothing but the familial touch of someone who loved her despite how war-ravaged her soul was. He smelled like a campfire almost, but even as a child he did - campfires were a nostalgia for a boy like himself.

" Natia!" a voice yelled excitedly and Natia pulled back from Ryzshard to see Klimeck hurrying forward to wrap Natia in a hug and Natia even let out a girlish giggle feeling the hug from her older sister in her arms. It felt like home.

Of course, she had no real home anymore, just a bunker with friends who had become family and her siblings. But Klimeck and Ryzshard always felt like family - anything they experienced, she experienced. Siblings had that sort of connection - and they all felt it.

Klimeck pulled back and gently put a gentle hand on Natia's cheek, a bright smile crossing her face, bright blue eyes lighting up like sparkling diamonds. Even in war she had flawless features, and a smile genuine enough like the flowers themselves. Klimeck softly reached up to cup her baby brother's cheek with a smile.

It was like for a moment, it was just the three of them, siblings again, with no war, not-orphaned, with nothing but their childhood antics. Ryzshard smiled at his sisters. And for a moment, there was no war in any of their heads. Ryzshard wished yet again he could be back in their home and be children again, cuddled up on the couch with mom and dad, listening to the radio, giggling and laughing under their blankets.