31 | Words Left Unspoken

"A couple hundred languages, infinite letters, yet, some emotions are left unsaid

"A couple hundred languages, infinite letters, yet, some emotions are left unsaid."

― Misbah Khan

。↷ ✧*̥₊˚‧☆ミ

September 30th, 1944

Wijchen, Holland on 'Hell's Highway'

1200

Captain Winters didn't allow her on the patrol - not that she didn't have the capabilities, but supposedly, a certain Map-Keeper had convinced the Captain to let her rest - she had proved herself enough, even if it were not in the way she deemed fit. She had accepted the offering of food that Heffron had given her, a slight smile on his face as he approached her. With a thank you, he was off, but he waved as he looked over his shoulder, a little jump in his step, like he was proud of himself.

Natia smiled to herself as she glanced down at the lukewarm oatmeal - it was better than anything the Resistance ever had. She thought she tasted even a bite of cinnamon in there. Supposedly the patrol had gone, by word of mouth from what she could hear a few NCOs talking about - Lip had supposedly gone on again, this time with Lieutenant Peacock, and it had been successful with the mass of 2nd platoon this time.

Skip, Malarkey and Penkala had eaten breakfast with her and found a way to make her laugh like it were their only goal in life. It was a change in the atmosphere - morale had sucked the company it seemed to an all time low, but people were beginning to find joy in the little things that life had to offer - it was quite nice she felt.

George and her spent most of the day together, cleaning their radios, as George told her more about his home life, his family and of course little Maria. It distracted her mind for the time being and she was grateful for George, listening to his stories which made her smile, a real genuine smile, and forever grateful for the person he was.

But each time she went to talk about her own family, her throat clenched and it suddenly felt as if she couldn't breath, and it held her back from even saying a word to him about it. 5 years and the memories were as fresh as if it were yesterday.

The night passed with rain, and into the following morning as the march from Wijchen to Beuningen, Holland began. The grey clouds covered the sky in a darkness that drained the once slightly spirited moods of the Easy company men yet again.

Natia moved behind George, as they moved in two vertical lines along the side of the road, their boots squishing the mud, soaking in around them, as the rain turned their warm bodies chilled like the snow. Her eyes moved over to where she walked in line with Joseph Liebgott whom she had avoided for the time being. He glanced her way briefly, and then looked back in front of him, eyes narrowed in annoyance.

She sighed to herself and glanced up towards the bundle of NCOs that included Sergeants Talbert, Grant and Guarnere, all talking to each other in their bundle as they moved along with Lip who stood a few feet in front of him, walking silently through the rain.