98 | A Home With You

"Home wasn't a set house, or a single town on a map

"Home wasn't a set house, or a single town on a map. It was wherever the people who loved you were, whenever you were together. Not a place, but a moment, and then another, building on each other like bricks to create a solid shelter that you take with you for your entire life, wherever you may go."

― Sarah Dessen, What Happened To Goodbye

。↷ ✧*̥₊˚‧☆ミ

Reading, Pennsylvania 

December 21st, 1945 

2000

Joseph Toye was not someone to forget promises he made, however long ago they might be and he seemed pretty earnest with upholding a promise he made back to her in November of 1944. He wanted to take her out for a drink and even a dance. And, similarly to his parents, he was adamant about it, just like they were adamant about their tea and pillows and fresh eggs for breakfast. 

Irene had let her borrow this beautiful maroon dress, with buttons along the front, with a pleated collar and a fluffy black scarf to wrap around her neck for the cold. Mrs. Toye told Natia that it felt like she was sending her Joe out on his first date and Natia had never laughed harder at the thought of little Joe going out on a first date as a 15 year old. 

Joe drove his parents new car, the two of them pulling up in front of a building on the main strip in Reading, where music pooled out from the front door with dim lights and a wonderful smell of food trailed. Natia looked towards Joe with a big grin on her face, but quickly took in his sudden distress and removed her hand from the door immediately and looked to him. Her eyes worriedly searched his face as she followed where his hand rested on his leg, noticing him visibly sigh as they sat there in silence.

" Joe." she whispered softly, reaching forward and taking his right hand in her own," Did you take you medicine?" Joe nodded quietly and then leaned back from his leg and looked right at her, his eyes meeting hers; she saw something in his gaze that suddenly made her forget they were even at this little place for food and a drink or that they were in this car. All she saw was him and him only.

" I don't think I'll be able to dance....right." Joe whispered and Natia furrowed her brows and looked at him, watching pain swell in his gaze," I don't want to embarrass you, Nat, with...the leg, just...."

" Being crippled." Joe said quietly and Natia stilled; she'd only been here a little over a day and Joe had done nothing but sidestep her questions and worries about his leg, but as he spoke now, her heart hurt.

" You will never, ever, embarrass me." Natia whispered softly, holding his hand their in her two own small ones," I love you, Joe. And I love the heart that you have. That's what I love." Joe stared at her and shook his head.

" Dancing, even just walking, Nat, just-"

" I don't care if we stand there and sway, Joe," Natia whispered softly," but in my eyes, you're still the man who made that promise all those months ago. I don't care about any of that, as long as I get to be here with you." Joe stared at her for a moment before he seemed to gather himself at her words. Softly, he pecked her lips and then nodded as he pulled back from her and stared at her eyes; the same ones that made him believe in many things, even in a time of war.