37 | Tragedy of the Broken

"Those who do not move, do not notice their chains

"Those who do not move, do not notice their chains."

― Rosa Luxemburg

。↷ ✧*̥₊˚‧☆ミ

(A/N): double update today! but i want to put this out before getting into the chapter -- natia does struggle to eat food at the end of this chapter and there is discussion of how she isn't eating or hasn't been eating. i know that topic can be heavy for some people and i wanted to put it out there for anyone who can get triggered by it so (TW). this is a mature book, with mature themes, as you all my know, but i still wanted to put that out for you all before reading. thank you <3

。↷ ✧*̥₊˚‧☆ミ

Royal Victoria Hospital, Netley, England 

October 13th, 1944 

1300

Joseph Liebgott was quite odd she felt - he smoked 3 cigarettes a day, sat with his boots on the bed, and his hair was a constant companion to his hand which ran through it almost daily. It had been sheer dumb luck that she had happened to succumb to her wounds the day a nasty piece of shrapnel had also tore into his neck, sending them both to a field hospital before being sent to England. 

Now, she got to be by his side for 3 weeks or more now, listening to his snores, the obnoxious chuckle from his lips as he read in that Dick Tracy comic book, or the snooty 'pfft' that left his lips when he was annoyed by the slightest movement of another. And it seemed his annoyance with her struggling to stand was one of this inconveniences that happened to annoy him today. 

And Natia being more stubborn than a nail, refused the nurses' help, refused the crutches or the wheel chair and forced herself to her own feet, before limping to the washroom or the kitchens down the hall. 

Joseph Liebgott watched quietly from his bed as the stubborn woman moved from place to place without so much so as a free arm or the weight of a crutch to catch her stumbling form. Joseph Liebgott was stubborn but at this point it was like watching a newborn horse trying to walk again, and to be frank it was getting too painful to watch nearly everyday as she stumbled about. 

And quite honestly, Joseph Liebgott was getting annoyed. 

He wasn't sure why but seeing her struggle and stubbornly refuse the help that was offered was pissing him off. 

Hell, as a child he had refuse his mother's hand walking across the street because he thought he was the toughest kid around - turns out you still need that hand every once and a while. 

It was a cold morning, they had a few of the nearby windows open, letting in the fresh, late October gusts of air, and Joe realized how quiet the bed beside him was, the little gap of space doing nothing but drawing his attention even more to it. Joe slowly cast his eyes from the comic book in his grasp and noticed Natia for the first time in days, near tears.