60 | In Times of War

"Was there ever a war where only one side bled?"

― George R.R. Martin, A Clash of Kings

。↷ ✧*̥₊˚‧☆ミ

Bastogne, The Ardennes, Belgium

December 28th, 1944

0800

Captain Winters had told her that she had proved more than advantageous in that meeting and merely vital. A vital source of information, as someone who knew the terrain, who knew the enemy better than the rest and who had dealt with them in this previous environment just years before - of course, she had told them the enemy is an ever-changing fleet of power hungry death machines, she quoted that, but they 'rest-assure' that any information even from 2 years ago would help them in anyway possible.

And Natia was more than happy to provide, to feel useful for once, to feel that maybe it wasn't all for nothing and if there was some God above, he'd put her through that horrible time in her life because he knew it would eventually help Easy Company later.

They would have to move back into the main section of the Bois Jaque which overlooked Foy soon enough, within the coming days at least, possibly after the arrival of the new year, under the advisement of what Natia had suggested. It made her think back to the times with Agent Mortem where he hadn't been degrading, where he hadn't warped her mind, where he hadn't been breaking her apart piece by piece - where he had actually helped, even suggested that from her intelligence of the mind, it made her quite faithful and a codename like Fidel would be useful to win over and charm the Americans as he had put it.

There was some point where Natia had seen his true side and he hadn't been the deranged man, hungry for the power stripped from him as a child as he eagerly tried to get it all back. She remembered that time. Where he taught her how to geo cash, how to map, all the fighting tactics which hadn't brought her this far, how to scissor a man in seconds - all of that. She remembered when it had been about helping her get back into status with the other Polish SOE Agents.

That changed quickly when Agent Mortem realized how much power he had over her and the lack of it had driven him nearly insane - to find that power again over her had ruined him. She remembered it all.

She had retreated to a tree just a little aways from CP, after hearing Captain Winters pull Lieutenant Dike aside, knowing it'd be something she would not want to hear, and pulled one of the cigarettes George had given her days ago. She placed it on her lip, and leaned up against the tree, intending to listen to the stillness of the morning and the voices that traveled in every so often from CP.

" Morning." she heard a voice say from her right, causing her to whip her head to the person quicker than she would've wanted and finding that Lieutenant Speirs stood there, a cigarette on his lip, and a smirk on his features. Natia let out a breath and nodded at his sudden presence.