49 | Equity of the Grave

"But who can remember pain, once it's over? All that remains of it is a shadow, not in the mind even, in the flesh

"But who can remember pain, once it's over? All that remains of it is a shadow, not in the mind even, in the flesh. Pain marks you, but too deep to see. Out of sight, out of mind."

― Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid's Tale

。↷ ✧*̥₊˚‧☆ミ

December 17th, 1944

Mourmelon-le-Grande, France

1600

Skip had given her the final pair of socks today - 4 minimum he had told her. He had sat down beside her on the bed and handed the pair to her like it were some ceremony or crowning like she were the Queen of England. It was quite funny if she could admit, but she had escaped the billet in the snow simply for the spare chance of getting a fresh cup of coffee with Lip. It seemed she couldn't escape the want for warm coffee, if anything it was a dream on her account and Lip offered to accompany her and she had gladly accepted.

Of course, even with Lip talking quietly beside her, she couldn't get the look of Sergeant Toye's from her mind, with that stupid smirk and the dumb look on his face. The fact it got her so flustered in the first place made her so rage filled, intoxicated by his closeness and the odd reason she just wanted to reach out and feel the warmth of his skin in her palm. She mentally face planted at the voices in her head and resumed listening to Lip as they entered the mess hall together, where a few other members sat at various tables, nibbling on late afternoon snacks, before the dinner rush in a few hours, sipping coffee or reading books away from the loud barracks.

" How did the meeting go today? Heard Captain Winters brought out...correct me if I'm wrong...a book for you?" he asked her as they stood crafting their warm coffees up side by side. Natia smirked, a soft chuckle leaving her lips as she did so.

" You're right." she said with a laugh," Captain Nixon wanted to be the one to drop it on me though and to say Captain Winters looked a bit guilty is too far of an understatement." Lip let out a laugh as he stirred in some sugar for his drink.

" Right." Lip said and Natia smirked, taking a test sip for the drink - perfect.

" I'm happy though really, for Captain Winters wanting to take me in...I really am." she said, looking up towards Lip who watched her with soft eyes. Lip smiled at her before placing a hand on her shoulder comfortingly, something he seemed to always do as a sign of reassurance for her - he seemed to know that it was a comfort of hers that she was thankful for.

" I'm glad you're here, too, Fidel," Lip said softly with a kind-hearted smile towards her figure which warmed her heart," always have." Natia managed the slightest hint of a smile on her face - she was still getting used to that. The fact she was apart of Easy Company, of an American Airborne company, working as a liaison. A year ago, she'd been crossing the Alps in snowshoes delivering information and informants from the clouds. Now she sat in a warm mess hall with fresh food and a belly full of warm coffee.