76 | To See My Courage Fail

"

"...I was just a kid who grew up strong enough, to pick this armor up, and suddenly it fit..."

- Eight, Sleeping At Last

。↷ ✧*̥₊˚‧☆ミ

(TW) mental and psychological manipulation in the first portion of the chapter.

。↷ ✧*̥₊˚‧☆ミ

The Shores of Constanta, Romania

November 18th, 1920

0400

He arrived on the shores of Romania with a blood speckled suit and a dead body as cargo.

Scrambling up the rocky shores, hands brushing against jagged edges of rocks along the shore, pulling the wooden curvature of the boat up along as far as he could before falling back into the rough surface below and letting out an exhausted exhale of air as he lied there, the salty sea water of the Black Sea lapped up against his dirty pant legs and over his boots, swelling his entire body as he lied so still.

He stared up towards the night sky, curious as to where the stars that had helped guide him across the ocean, had gone, attempting to control his breathing in some sort of way. He normally could. But he was in a situation where he was not prepared.

The darkened outline of a face appeared overtop of him, pushing out anymore sight of the dark sky above away from him, and swallowing him whole into a void. He recognized those eyes. The very eyes that had headlined newspapers in 1917, declaring both a disappearance and equally as possible death. The same eyes that stood above him now.

Agent Mortem gritted his teeth, and clenched his jaw up in anger, rolling out from under the man above him and shot to his feet, seeing near flames there in his eyes and launched himself at the man, forcing his body down into the rough turf of the ground, stones and salt water rolling upon the two there on the ground.

Agent Mortem seethed down upon the man below him, narrowing his eyes and growling as if some sort of wild animal had become of him. He seemed mad, insane, almost like some sort of lunatic. He felt out of control, irrational and like he had blinders up on all sides. He felt like everything he had once known, was suddenly gone.

" You tried to get me KILLED!" snapped Agent Mortem, his eyes seeing red as he slammed down the wrists of the man below him," You let me go in your place because you knew I'd take the bait. You knew I'd lead them on and convince them I was you! You almost let me die!" The man below him chuckled sardonically, as if a maniac himself.

" Quite the foil in this plan it appears to be." the man said, letting out another chuckle, dismissing the rage pouring down from the Agent gripping his wrists in a blind, white furry.