40 | From the Wounds of War

"The worst wounds, the deadliest of them, aren't the ones people see on the outside

"The worst wounds, the deadliest of them, aren't the ones people see on the outside. They're the ones that make us bleed internally."

― Sherrilyn Kenyon, Infamous 

。↷ ✧*̥₊˚‧☆ミ

November 28th, 1944 

Mourmelon-le-Grande, France 

0730

She awoke in a soft darkness, the snores from the men filling the barrack, as the windows once pelted with rain held a gloomy grey outside of the early morning slowly arriving to spread across the Earth. 

The snores she never thought she'd find comfort in - George had proceeded to snore nearly every night they were side by side in the foxholes of Holland - rainy night or clear and she had grown used to it. 

Cezar snored like a fog hog and sleeping a person over from him in the Underground, she'd grown rather accustomed to it all. 

But all tucked up into their own beds, finally resting where the rain was outside and they were finally inside, Natia laid there for a moment, completely and utterly relishing the feeling of the blanket brought up around her chin, encasing her in warmth and her head shoved into the pillow her head was against. It was peaceful. She never thought there could be a spit of peace in war. The nights seemed cold here, her face felt the gentle cold outside of the warmth of the blanket as she lay curled in a ball with a heavy head and half open eyes. 

Natia couldn't move, she was so comfortable curled in a ball surrounded by warmth with all her 10 fingers and toes. The OD bottoms were warm, and the socks from Skip were toasty on her toes, and she did admit, Sergeant Toye's shirt, though a bit big, was warm and quite comfy. 

Natia sighed to herself and figured if anything it'd be better if she started to get a move on for the day - maybe she'd alert this Lieutenant Dike of her turn and possibly even Captain Winters, and then she'd sit by the radio and hope for a signal. 

Pulling her feet over the edge of the bed, she let her socked feet touch the ground as she sighed to herself, rubbing her eyes, before letting her shoulders drop a bit as she sat in the silence for a brief moment. 

Gently reaching down, she pulled on the new boots that George had snatched for her, double-tying it up quickly, before pulling on the OD top, shrugging it up onto her shoulders and sighing to herself. Standing hurt, more than she would've liked. Whenever she didn't move her leg consistently it got tense and all cramped up more than she'd like. But being wounded so many times caused her body's healing process to not quite be what it was.

" Here," a voice suddenly said as Natia whipped her head to the left, collapsing back on the bed again as she looked up to see Sergeant Toye there. All her progress - gone. Sergeant Toye smirked at her a bit and offered his hand again.