56 | Lest We Forget

"You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you

"You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you."

― John Bunyan

。↷ ✧*̥₊˚‧☆ミ

Bastogne, The Ardennes, Belgium 

December 23rd, 1944 

0800

Natia supposed if anything it was George's snoring in her ear, and the warm breaths that escaped his lips that had woken her that morning, but instead it was the joyful shouts that erupted outside of the foxhole, echoing into the sky, so much so that even the faintest bit of light seemed to travel in through the open flap of the tarp on the foxhole that lay covering it. 

Natia's heavy eyes slowly eased themselves open, the feeling of wanting to curl up again and fall straight asleep overwhelmed her, but then George shifted next to her and the shuddering chill of bitter morning air swept in and nearly shot her upright. Natia adjusted herself upright, her eyes blinking a few times as she watched George let out a small grumble, yawning to follow as he crawled over towards the edge of the foxhole and peaked his head outside. 

Natia watched, filled with such a heavy exhaustion that she was sure she would fall asleep in seconds, if it weren't for the bright light that streamed in, following George lifting the tarp the slightest bit. Natia's eyes narrowed upon the sight of it pouring in through the tiny open flap, the snow bright white and nearly sparkling outside the cold dungeon that lay inside. There was light - actual light, not just the grey, eerie darkness that lingered even through midday, no, there was actual light!

" Flip, you have to see this." George said quietly, as Natia briefly shoved the blanket spread across her legs to the side and scrambled to situate herself beside George, her head poking up beside his, getting a look at the outside world which shown with such brightness. Her eyes widened. 

Not only was there blue sky showing through the trees, despite the cold gusts of air which rushed down her throat to her lungs, but there was light, and everything seemed so soft and gentle - like this weren't even war it seemed. 

And it was fairly quiet too, the desolate little world of the Ardennes forest, for the moment at a peace it would probably never end up seeing again for the rest of 1944. 

It was fairly hauntingly beautiful, with the sun peaking out through the tree tops, the cloudy blue sky above them and silence sweltering the ears. It was unnatural it felt.

" Happy Birthday, Flip." George whispered quietly from beside her as the two huddled side by side, peaking out from under the tarp towards the outside world that for the night, had not been quiet, but had brought upon a quite morn. But it seemed the dawns here were quiet. Natia glanced towards George and a smile poked up at the corners of her lips as she watched him with gently shining eyes.