92 | Where The Enemy Once Stood

"There is no teacher but the enemy

"There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak."

- Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game

。↷ ✧*̥₊˚‧☆ミ

Berchtesgaden, Bavaria, Germany

May 7th, 1945

1130

Natia spent more time than she wanted in the Eagles' Nest.

Sometimes, she just wanted to climb up to the top of the mountain and inhale some of the fresh mountain air and feel her muscles burn from the work it took to get up the mountain. Sometimes, it was because it was far quieter than down the mountain in the main area of Berchtesgaden and more often these days, she longed for some quietness. Sometimes, it was just because she wanted to stare at the mountains. Just sit and stare and listen to the wind blow overtop the mountains and down into the valley, hitting the trees and rustling their fresh summer leaves.

Today was because she was bored. Not that there wasn't plenty to do, but today, she had finished all the assignments Captain Speirs needed to have written up, some of the enlisted were already downing some bottles of wine and champagne they'd scrounged, and things for the most part were settled in.

Years ago, this would have bothered her. Being in a place such as this where the enemy once stood all alone with herself - of course, some of the officers were here and there were people in other rooms, but the great large room that served as the residential sitting room it seemed, remained in her occupancy. And she was all alone. She didn't mind being alone as much anymore.

Of course, in the early years of the war, it was all she wanted, she craved it and eagerly sought it out. Then by the mid-years, she wanted nothing more than to be surrounded by people, by friends, by people with the same fire and anger for the enemy as she did. And then that all came crashing down once the Warsaw Uprising took her by the ankles and forced her to grow accustom to loneliness again and she became one with it all the sudden. And then there was Easy Company; no matter how many times she remained earnest in remaining quite pitifully alone, they began to back her and fight with her and no longer against her and suddenly she wasn't alone anymore. That back and forth made her appreciate the silence, even if her thoughts were ravenous day and night. She learned to appreciate spending time with herself.

Many of the doors and windows were left open to let out some of the stench from some of the dead Nazis that had been left behind in some sort of chaotic disarray. The sun was bright and the air was sweet and it was just the perfect temperature out where it wasn't too cold or hot; it was just enough to feel comfortable. She tried to think of things to occupy her mind, but it seemed all that consumed her thoughts that late morning was Joseph Toye.