Section 1: Chapter 1

I wake up and squint my eyes as the bright light from the morning sun shines through my window. I turn off the blaring alarm coming from my phone and sigh. When I glimpse down I see my pink satin bonnet laying on the floor by the foot of my bed. Somehow I always wake up to my bonnett being anywhere but on my damn head.

I quickly get up to shower and get ready for school. After my shower I put on some baggy jeans and a baggy t-shirt with my airforces. My go-to outfit. Don't get me wrong I love my body and don't mind showing it off but I love the look of baggy clothes. I put on some light and natural makeup then tie my hair into a bun. Well at least I try. My kinky 4b hair barely ever works with me.

I grab my phone and backpack then head downstairs. When I get to the kitchen I see my mom pouring coffee into a mug while my dad is scrambling eggs.

My mom spots me and smiles while stirring her coffee, "Hey baby hurry up and eat so I can get you to school"

I grab a piece of bacon. "Let's just go mom I'm not that hungry today, Bye Dad", I say as I walk out the front door. I'm kind of anxious to get to school because I plann to talk to a certain boy about something very nerve wracking.

I hop in the car and my mom soon follows after me. After 15 minutes we finally arrive at school and I get out the car.

"Bye baby I love you!", she yells. I wave back in response.

I walk inside the school and make my way to my locker. As i get closer I spot my best friends waiting for me.

"Hey bitchessssss!" I yell.

"Hey girl damn we  been waiting for you.", my friend Chantel greets. I chuckle at her attitude.

"Today's the day you tell Cody how you feel", she claps her hands in excitement.

"I know yall I'm so nervous". I'm literally shaking it my boots.

"It's going to be great don't worry" Aphina reassures me.

I have a crush on this boy named Cody Finch. We were really close through out middle school until we got to 8th grade when he told me liked me. I didn't feel the same way at the time so I rejected him and our friendship fell off. Now we're in 11th grade and  ironically I'm the one with feelings for him.

And today's the day I let him know.
~~~~

The bell rings as students rush and stumble upon each other trying to get to class. I take my time to walk as I have my earbuds in listening to Giveon. I'm lost in the music when I come into contact with a hard surface.

"Shit that hurt" , I complain. I look up and see that the person I bumped into was none other than Cody Finch. He stood over me with his 6'2 frame making me feel short at my average 5'7 height.

"My bad Aminah " he chuckles.

He was wearing a white t-shirt and grey sweatpants with a chain around his neck. He had two rings on his left hand which were painted with slightly chipped black nail polish. There was something about him. He could wear anything and still look effortlessly good.

"I- it- it's fine Cody", I stuttered. Bitch why are you stuttering this isn't like you. I hurriedly walked past him and go about my way to my first class. For some reason when it comes to Cody, I always become flustered when I try to have a conversation with him. It's just weird to interact with him since we're not as close as we used to be.

My first and least favorite class of the day is Chemistry. I hate the class with a passion not just because of the subject but because of who I am forced to sit with. Tyler Pierson.

Tyler is best friends with Cody. I cannot stand the guy. He's so cocky and arrogant just because he's sort of attractive. He was born in England and moved here in Texas a couple years ago. To be honest the only thing attractive about him are his sea blue eyes and slight british accent.

I take my seat at the back of the classroom as the rest of the students are already seated. Tyler isn't here yet which is just like him. Our Teacher Mrs. Rhodes begins to go on a lecture about the Periodic table.

Towards the last 30 minutes of class Tyler barges in with a smirk on his face. He just loves to make a dramatic entrance that leaves everyone's attention on him. I can't lie he looks good though.

"You're late again Tyler. That's the 5th time this month." Mrs. Rhodes says.

"Oh yeah sorry I had some things to tend to" he says smugly.

I can tell that a few girls in the class want him seeing as their literally at the edge of their seats drooling over him.

"And that's detention with me on Saturday" Mrs. Rhodes says unamused.

"Aw if you wanted to spend some time with me all you had to do was ask Mrs. Rhodes"

"Mr. Pierson sit down before I send you to the principal's office"

"Yes ma'am", Tyler says taking his seat next to me. I feel his eyes on me as I listen to Mrs.Rhodes continue her lecture. I chose to ignore him until the bell rings and the class is over.

~~~~~~
Finally it was lunch time and I made my way to the lunch room. I found my four closest friends sitting at our usual spot in the lunchroom and took a seat.

"Hey girl how's your day been?", Maya asks me.

"It got off to a bad start when I bumped into Cody and started stuttering like a damn fool"

The table busts out laughing at my "hilarious" morning.

"I bet it wasn't that bad." Maya says attempting but failing to hold back her laugh.

"It's not funny guys. I keep embarrassing myself around him"

"Aw babe its okay" my friend Elesia says trying to comfort me.
"No it's not okay. I looked stupid", I groan.

"Okay Aminah you can fix this. Look there's Cody go and talk to him now" Chantel urges me.

I turn my attention to the other side of the cafeteria where Cody is sat with his friends. My heart begins to beat way faster than before and I feel my face getting hot. I don't think I can do this.

"Wait y'all I forgot what I'm supposed to say" , I start to freak out.

"Aminah it's not that hard. Just go up to Cody and tell him how you feel!" Maya directs.

"Ugh okay fine I'm going". I anxiously get up from the table.

"Yessss go girl" , they start hyping me up.

I walk across the cafeteria to the table where Cody and his friends sit.

"Oh hey it's the girl with the big forehead" , Tyler says as I approach their table. Their whole table looks over to me.

"Oh hey it's the boy who can't pronounce the number three correctly" , I say mocking him.

Their friends bust out laughing as Tyler shuts up. I smile in satisfaction.

"Hey Cody can I talk to you by the vending machines real quick?", I ask.

"Yeah sure"