The Battle of Hyrule Field

The crowd of monsters surged towards them. Midna thought she recognized a certain king among them, but she wasn't sure because a moment later she was deep in the heart of battle. As promised, she stayed by Link's side and he stayed by her's. They made a great team. They watched each others' back while vanquishing enemies like pros. It was as if they were made to battle together.

"Link, duck!" Midna shot a blast of magic over his head, hitting the skeleton behind him straight in the chest or rather, the exposed ribs. Link returned the favor by stabbing the hobgoblin behind her. In a brief moment of calm after, they grabbed each other's hand, eyes staring lovingly at the others. But as quick as the moment began, it was gone.

Back to back, they fought the monsters who had surrounded them. Midna exploded, blasted and burned anyone who dared get too close, while maintaining a teal shield for protection. Link slashed and blocked, lopping off heads and stabbing through the gaps in the enemies armor.

A creature lumbered towards Midna. She threw blue fire at it, but it didn't catch.

"Think a little princess like you can battle me and win?" It was lizard-like and its scales were sharp as they collided with her face. That hurt. She didn't like being punched in the face. Bad things happened to those who punched her in the face. But she couldn't do anything to it, it was immune to her magic. She took a step back, bumping into Link.

A monster walked towards Link, stretching out its tattered wings menacingly. Saliva dripped down its jaw and its mouth overflowed with teeth. A heavy club was clasped in its taloned hand. Its golden skin was stretched taut across its bones. It stalked forward, a cackle emitted from its throat. It raised the heavy club. Link expected it to attack high, since it was a tall beast, but the blow went low and hit him in the leg. He stumbled back, bumping into Midna.

"Do you want to trade?" she asked, blue dripping from her nose.

"Sure," he agreed, a grim smile on his face and red bubbling out of his leg. They spun, taking on their new opponents.

Midna threw a magical teal flame, engulfing the winged beast's club. It snarled and dropped the club, trying to attack her with its sharp nails. Stupid thing, a flame at your feet is just as dangerous as one in your hand. Like a torch the creature burned; the smell of its burning flesh permeated the air and its charred bones found the ground in a heap. Midna allowed herself a small grin of victory.

"That's what you get for hurting my Link!" she muttered angrily under her breath before turning to her next victim.

Link swung his sword, taking off the foolish villain's arm. It grabbed a knife from its belt, but Link quickly cut off that arm as well. Yellow blood spurted from the severed ends. Then Link stuck the sword through its throat with a flourish of his wrist.

"That's for punching Midna," he said, kicking the still standing lizard down. He set his sights on whatever came to battle him next.

Soon, Midna and Link had amassed quite the pile of bodies and bones around them. Midna had to be even more careful where she stepped so she didn't cut her feet on a fallen sword.

"How much longer do you think this will go on?" she asked, blowing up yet another creepy crawly spider that had tried to challenge her.

"Without the Zoras arriving... Not much longer." Link stabbed through the scaly skin of yet another lizalfos.

"Do you think we still stand a chance?" They talked through the shrill orchestra of battle music. Like a wave of sound, when one scream ended another began. Crescendos, diminuendos, forte to piano, scales, solos, harmonies and melodies. The battle music had it all. And even in its utter chaos, there was something beautiful to be found in it. Resilience, bravery, strength. Hope.