Return of Twilight

Had he heard her correctly? Had she actually... Could she... Did she... Was she serious!?

"Hello, Link? You in there?" Midna asked, standing beside him, back to full twilight color. He nodded his head and noticed, with a slight surprise, he was a wolf once more.

"Come on! We need to find Kilm," Midna told him, walking away. They were standing in a long corridor, windows were cut into the side of the wall so that they invited darkened twilight to seep in and battle with the light of shivering candles with blue flames. Link dashed to catch up and then padded beside Midna. It was weird switching from walking on two legs to four, but he was used to it. It was weird transforming into a wolf when a light dweller entered a twilight zone, but he was used to that too. It was better to become a beast than a helpless spirit unaware of what was actually going on. That much he was certain.

"Yes, an idiotic wolf is much better than an idiotic shadow. Now please pay attention." Link turned around. Midna was standing at a door a little ways back, looking irritated. He must have walked past her while lost in thought.

"Woof!" He tried to apologize, but his wolf tongue wasn't smart enough to form the words.

"Whatever," she mumbled, holding the door open for him. She lightly scratched behind his ears as he passed.

"My Queen, you wouldn't have happened to have seen the hero Link? I have something I'd like to ask him." Kilm was bubbling with excitement. He was bent over a table covered in old dusty books written in a language Link couldn't read. The room was filled with similar, dusty looking books. It was like an old abandoned library. Even the lighting fit, golden orange like a torch light that shivered with the anticipation of a great discovery.

"Kilm, meet wolf Link. Wolf Link, meet Kilm," Midna said with a small sigh.

"Oh course! Sorry Link, I didn't recognize you. Or notice you at all, if I'm being honest... I've just had a breakthrough, so you can imagine how hard it is to think straight now," Kilm rambled on, looking embarrassed, but too deep in his excitement to care that much.

"Kilm, calm down. What do you need Link for?"

"The shadow eclipse happens once every thousand years. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity for those of shadow to visit the Realm of Light without fear and for the light dwellers to remain unchanged in the light of the eclipse. It's a once in a lifetime chance! It's the only way I will ever be able to go to the Light Realm again, since I'm not very strong with my Twili magic." He ended with a sad sigh.

"Your point being?" Link could tell Midna already knew what Kilm was getting at, but he was glad she was making him clarify anyway.

"The shadow eclipse is happening tomorrow! I was hoping Link would take me to the Light Realm. It doesn't have to be for long. Please?" It looked like Kilm was going to start begging, so Link quickly nodded his head.

So this was what Midna had in mind... She wanted to use the Twili people to defend Hyrule? She wanted to endanger the lives of her people to save the light dwellers? What was she thinking?

"I'm thinking that a Twili warrior is stronger than at least ten pathetically cowardly Hylian soldiers! The Twili are more powerful than you can imagine and it's Hyrule's only chance!"

"Woof!" She was right, she was more than right. But Link couldn't allow her to do this. He couldn't let her risk the survival of her people for his own.

"It's not your decision! Stupid wolf! It's not even my decision, and I'm the queen! The decision is up to the people of twilight!" She stalked out of the room with an angry huff. Link and Kilm shared a dazed look before following her. They went back into the hallway and continued through the maze of corridors. The only thing that seemed to change in their surroundings as they walked were the spacing of blue tear like dots on the wall. Teal runes spun around Midna as she multitasked, casting a spell while she walked. How could she think this was the smartest course of action?

"No, it's the only course of action! I'll be back in a little bit." She opened a door leading outside and walked out. Link and Kilm were left to stand together in an awkward silence.

"So... What's it like being transformed into a beast when you cross realms?"

Link gave a low howl in response. It used to be worse when he transformed. There was a painful feeling accompanied by the change. It made him feel like his skin was being ripped off or like he was being torn apart only to be reassembled completely different. It was like he was being tortured. Yet now he barely noticed the change, sometimes missing it entirely.

"Well this is... Awkward. I can't actually understand you. Do your howls translate to something directly, or is it more like you think the words? Never mind..." They went back to silence. Kilm spent the time wondering how many books the great library of Hyrule must have and, later, what it would be like to be a strong brave hero like the wolf beside him. Link spent the time wondering what it would be like to kiss Midna again and, probably more importantly, how he was going to manage to bring the warriors of twilight to the Light Realm safely.

"Good news everyone! We have an army!" Midna returned triumphant a while later, removing the speech magic from her neck with a gentle wave.

"Great... I'm sorry Queen, but could you explain why you need an army?" Kilm asked, looking helplessly between Midna and Link.

"Hyrule is in trouble."

"Yes? That's why you and Link went to the Light Realm. To vanquish the Light Spirit."

"No. Wait, yes? Whatever... Hyrule is in trouble again." Midna sounded exasperated.

"Oh..." Kilm thought for a minute, then shook his head. "Who would have thought the realm of darkness would be safer than its light counterpart."

Link growled, showing his teeth.

"Sorry. I meant no insult. It was just an observation."

Link snarled.

"As important as this strange argument is... On second thought, it's not important at all! We have an army now and a Light Realm that needs to be saved again. Luckily, I've already thought of a battle plan." Kilm and Link shared a final glare before focusing on the Queen. She relayed her new plan as they walked back to the library.