A Practical Test of Grounding

"We're back!" Midna called flippantly when she and Link entered the throne room.

"Queen Midna, how nice of you to return." Both Kilm and Zant were still on the floor, convulsing in pain.

"I thought I'd be nice and tell you we're leaving. Also, I wanted to make sure you were still being tormented! So, Kilm, you are in charge. Don't do anything, you are simply a figure head. Talk to me before deciding anything. Cool. Bye!"

"Wait!" Zant gasped, "Take me with you."

"Why would we do that?" An angry scowl twisted Midna's features. Who was he to think he could command her!? After all he had done to the kingdom? After all he had done to her!? After the mercy she had shown him by not killing him immediately?

"Required... Need to go to the Light Realm if the realms are to have any hope of survival."

"Not a very compelling argument coming from you," she scoffed.

"Then... So I can't harm your kingdom while you are away!?"

"Hmm... Good point. You'll have to come with us then." Midna said, shooting a questioning look at Link. She asked with her eyes if he'd be able to use grounding with two other people. He looked hesitant, but he gave her a faint nod anyway.

Midna raised her hand, mischief shining in her eyes and dancing across her smile. She used her magic to lift Zant up till he slammed into the ceiling high above.

"Oops." She shrugged at a frowning Link and brought Zant to rest at their feet without further incident.

"So, do we hold hands or something?" Midna asked, looking down at Zant in disgust.

"I... No, I don't think we need to."

"Can we both hold hands? Yah know, in case I get scared?"

"Why would you get scared?"

"Just an excuse... Um, can you make sure to bring us to a shady place in the Sacred Grove? I don't want to die untimely or whatever."

"Right." She doubted Link knew how to make the place they grounded to was shady, but she trusted him to figure it out. She watched as Link closed his eyes and the ground beneath them split open. Midna screamed as she fell, latching onto Link's arm. She could hear Zant chuckling about how this is true freedom over the sound of her own cries. Her bare feet touched mossy stone ground.

"Wow," Midna whispered, releasing Link and punching him in the arm. "If you dare mention that to anyone..."

"I won't," he reassured her with a smile.

Zant gave a gentle cough and stood. Midna's spell on him had apparently broken when they'd switched realms. He brushed off his dirtied clothes dramatically before speaking. "How lucky for you, Midna... The hero somehow managed to bring us to a shady spot."

"Lucky for you too."

"No." Zant smiled a wicked, twisted grin. Then he stepped out from the shade and into the blinding sun. "I don't need shade." He disappeared in a cloud of smoke.

"Jerk! Was that him teleporting away somewhere or dying?"

"I don't know..." Link didn't seem to be paying much attention.

"What is it? You seem distracted. Oh... It's gone." Midna joined Link in staring slack jawed at the pedestal of time. It was where the Master Sword lurked, or... Where the Master Sword should have lurked. It wasn't there. It was gone, disappeared. Why wasn't it there!? Had Zant somehow taken it when he'd vanished?

"Are you sure you returned it?" Midna asked slowly, once she'd remembered the convenient use of words.

"Positive." He was walking slowly towards the pedestal, as if hypnotized. Midna, not having much of a choice, stayed in the protective shade.