Boss Battle

'Hero, I knew you would come. Heroes are so predictable.' Gerudo's gravely voice filled Link's mind. When Link opened his eyes, he saw that the Light Spirit stood in front of the entrance to Castle Town. Sparkling like the embers of a flame was the light that bounced off the Light Spirit's golden fur. Link had arrived just in time.

"I'm not as predictable as you seem to think!" Link snarled, the fierce wolf in him taking over. He grabbed the beautiful Master Sword and the sparkling twilight shield, preparing to fight. Why did everyone keep calling him predictable!?

'Hmm. What a predictable reaction... You were in my tower? You went into a Light Spirit's home without its permission!?' The Light Spirit charged without saying (or thinking) another word. Link rolled away, narrowly avoiding being hit, and came back up quickly. He sliced his sword at Gerudo's side. The sword cut through Gerudo's fur like it was paper. A glorious golden paper made for the use of the Goddesses.

With a growl, Gerudo replaced its missing fur. It turned to face Link, who noticed now that it only had one functioning eye with an arrow sticking out of the blackened remains of the other one.

'Nice try, Hero.' Link wasn't going to give up that easily. He didn't have a choice, so he kept fighting. Link attacked again and again, throwing all of his energy into each strike. All the while, Gerudo continued to grow back its spiked fur, again and again. It swiped a taloned paw at Link and charged him again, but Link dodged and went back to his rhythmic slicing.

'I am getting annoyed...' Gerudo told him, its voice grating into his thoughts and angering him.

"Well so am I!" The next time Gerudo charged, Link didn't roll out of the way. Though his muscles screamed at him to move for fear of being trampled, he ducked instead and raised his sword above his head. He sliced through the hardly protected underbelly of Gerudo with a lazy calm. Once Gerudo had gone past, Link stood and was decorated with golden blood.

'This is getting tedious, isn't it Hero?' Gerudo said as it healed itself. 'I think I'm going to end it now.' The Light Spirit started to shake, shooting fur in all directions. Link went down into a protective crouch. He knew he'd been here before, but this time he didn't plan on being stupid in his overconfidance. Fur clanged off the metal shield, seeming to get louder with every passing moment. Why was that? Was Gerudo getting closer?

Link felt sharp claws wrap around him and he was sent flying. A helpful tree painfully stopped him from continuing to soar and he landed in a heap at the base.

"Ow," Link groaned as he forced himself to stand.

"This is sad, Link. It's like you've never battled anything before... Should I spell it out for you? Hit the eye, that's always the weak spot," Midna said, her voice a mixture of emotions, mainly mock disappointment.

"Right." Link broke into a run, sword aimed straight at Gerudo's one remaining red eye. The Light Spirit realized too late what he was planning on doing. The Master Sword found its mark as per usual, stabbing deep into the Light Spirit's eye. The sword was buried nearly to the handle and the golden blood splattered Link's face.

A howling enraged shriek filled Link's thoughts, freezing him where he stood.

'I am going to enjoy killing you, worthless beast!' The Light Spirit reached out a taloned claw and picked Link up by the waist like he was a little doll. Link could feel the talons digging into his side; he was sure he'd be bruised, but not cut because of the amazing clothes he was wearing that Midna had made for him. Apparently the fabric was strong enough to protect him from punctures. Or at least punctures caused by light. He'd probably find out which later.

"That might have worked last time, but I don't fall for the same trick twice!" Link hollered, slashing Gerudo between its destroyed eyes. His slice cut away more fur than he'd expected and the Light Spirit didn't even try to heal it back. Underneath where the fur had been was a third eye.

"What the..." Link said as he went flying through the air again.

"A third eye... Who would have expected that? Get close and hit it, got it?" Midna spoke and Link quickly nodded his agreement. He stalked the Light Spirit, getting steadily closer. As he did so, Gerudo started shaking again. Link hid behind his shield. This time it didn't sound like Gerudo was getting any closer.

"This won't do. Link, you need to distract the Light Spirit. Maybe you could try stunning it?" That could work perfectly. Link set his sword down and grabbed the evil looking sling shot from one of his hidden pockets. When he wrapped his finger around the handle, it was like it became welded onto his hand. Peeking over the top of his shield, he took aim. This was when he realized, with crushing disappointment, he couldn't use a slingshot with just one hand. Yet as he watched, the cord began to move on its own, pulling back till it was tight. A stone dropped from the sky and landed perfectly balanced on the cord, only to be shot off less than a second later. The stone hit the Light Spirit square in its eye.

Link didn't have time to consider what just happened, he put the slingshot away (it had unwelded from his hand when it was done shooting), grabbed his sword and ran for Gerudo.

"Stab it!" Midna cheered, as Link brought the Master Sword down on Gerudo's third eye. Gerudo flickered, almost like it was blinking in and out of reality, before exploding in a cloud of light.

"Well, that's that..." Midna said finally, her shadow form appearing at Link side. He still stood in a battle pose, as if he was locked in place. He felt himself getting stronger and all his wounds from this battle faded away into nothingness. It disturbed him slightly, especially after his conversation with Midna earlier. He'd never thought about it, but maybe his own spirit would one day become lost among the monsters.

"You alright, Link?"

"What? Oh, yes. Sorry. Just thinking." Link put away his weapon and shield as he spoke.

"About how satisfying revenge is? Or all the kisses Princess Zelda is going to owe you now? You realize she's going to continue playing hard to get. You should just act upset next time she refuses a kiss. Just say 'excuuuse me princess!'"

"Please tell me you are joking. I've never tried to kiss her, nor will I ever. I respect her, but I don't have romantic feelings for her." This was not the first time they had had this conversation and if Midna had her way it wouldn't be the last. The year before when they had adventured side by side to save the realms, Midna had tried to counsel him on how to make Zelda fall for him. This in particular was one of her favorite pieces of advice, since it went against his character and seemed to make him the angriest.

"If you say so, but at some point you will have to take my advice and realize what a genius I am!"

"I..." He wasn't sure what to say. After what he'd heard her say when he'd been in the clutches of Ganondorf's mind games, he really couldn't understand why she continued to use this joke. Did she really think he liked Princess Zelda?

"Fine! Be quiet cause you're like that. We should probably go tell the princess she doesn't have to defend the castle anymore." Link nodded and headed for the castle.