I Want Some Answers

"You can travel between realms even though the mirror is destroyed?" Midna exclaimed after a moment. She was jealous. She didn't care how Zant had done it, just that she hadn't figured it out first. It was odd, as she'd later reflect, being jealous of something in such a childish way when she was still chained and blind on the floor.

"Yes, because I am the all powerful..." Zant sighed before speaking again. "Yes, I can and so can all of you..."

"No, we can't!" Midna huffed.

"But you could! With use of the grounding pendant, you could go wherever you choose!"

"The grounding pendant? Isn't that a myth?" Link asked softly, his hand grabbing Midna's again. Midna didn't know what they were talking about, so he must have been referring to one of the light dweller's fairytales.

"History that over time has faded into nothing more than a legend whispered to children before bed. Zant and I studied the legend when we were younger... When Zant was stranded in the Light Realm after his ordeal, he went in search of the pendant. Using clues hidden in the story, he was able to find it..." Midna had known Kilm since they were little, right? How had she not been able to see such a big betrayal!? He'd always been interested in legends and the Golden Goddesses, had that been a clue that he would turn evil? She'd thought she could trust him, needed to be able to trust him. Apparently that had been a mistake.

"It was easy for one as smart as me to do. Finding the pendant took little time at all... The real trouble was in returning power to it and the many tests after to make sure it was safe for use. Speaking of which, did you like the dog I sent you?" Midna chose to ignore that last part. But it did solve the great mystery of Con...

"Does that mean... Does that mean you saved me from the light monster?" Link asked, as always in a quiet voice. Midna wished she could see... Obviously, anyone in her situation would. But if she could see, she could look into Link's eyes and tell what he was thinking. His eyes were usually the biggest betrayers of his emotions, which in turn could lead to the betrayal of his thoughts. At least that's how it worked when he was human. When he was in his wolf form, she could literally listen in on his thoughts.

"Indeed, you ungrateful whelp! I saved you, using what little remained of my magic power to do so! But do I get a thank you? No. The pendant has been rendered useless to me now. I am stuck here."

"Thank you," Link whispered. Midna didn't think anyone else heard him.

"This is all so fascinating, but can someone please unlock these cuffs!" Midna hated the disadvantage she was at. She could feel her temper slipping. If she was stuck like that for much longer, she would surely explode whenever she was freed.

Silence. Perhaps a discussion without words. She couldn't tell.

"Fine." Link's hand slipped away from her and a few clicks later the handcuffs slipped away as well. She didn't hear them clang against the floor, they disappeared in a cloud of smoke before that could happen.

"Thank you," she said tartly. Her eyesight returned and she could feel the magic waiting eagerly at her fingertips.

Link sat slouched in front of her, looking ill and a little bit like a stray puppy. It was clear he had lost a lot of energy and didn't have much left. She hoped they hadn't hurt him when they brought him into the throne room. If they had, she wouldn't hesitate to kill them.

Kilm leaned against one of the pillars a little ways off. He was casually throwing a glass bottle filled with blue liquid in the air and catching it, like it wasn't Link's only hope of survival.

Zant still sat on the throne, her throne! His golden shoes were tapping idle against the stone floor and the remnants of magic were circling his violently shaking hands.