Addressing the People

Midna took a deep calming breath. She traced her nails across her neck, drawing faint runes across her skin. When she was finished the lines lit up and glowed a bright teal. She took another deep breath and pulled open the metal door in front of her. She walked out. Rested her hands on the cold metal rail. Gazed calmly out at the crowd. The large square below was full of Twilis.

"People of twilight, hear me." Midna's voice boomed, enhanced by her magic. The bright teal runes running across her neck shifted and changed with each syllable she spoke.

"Something has happened. Something... Something I can't quite explain." There was a loud uproar in the crowd. Some shouted and demanded answers. Others whispered nervously to their neighbors.

"Listen." Silence fell abruptly through the crowd at the voice of their leader. Midna sounded worried, yet still strong and powerful. She sounded like someone you should listen to.

"The Realm of Twilight is not in danger. You are all safe." A darkened cloud, like a sudden fog, swept across Midna's vision. As strange as this was, she ignored it and continued on as if her vision was still perfectly clear.

"But there is danger in the Light Realm. A danger they can not fight without their hero. A hero who has somehow been stranded in our realm. He's wounded past what twilight magic has the power to fix. I need a healing potion, one from the Light Realm, to help him. I can only hope that someone brought one back. If anyone can bring me one, that would be much appreciated. The doors to the throne room are open," Midna finished lamely. The crowd was silent, wondering what was going on. Wondering if they had this thing called a healing potion.

Midna spun, her cape spiraling around her. The cloud in front of her eyes had become worse, now more like an angry storm cloud than a slight fog. She found the door and left the balcony from memory of where everything was alone.

The large metal door was shut with a bang and she leaned against it for support. She ran a shaking hand down her neck, the teal runes fading as she went. She'd all but slumped to the floor by the time she finished, yet still her vision wouldn't clear. She sat there and waited. A laugh escaped her lips.

"Some Twilight Queen I am. Eee hee. Barely able to keep a speaking spell working for a whole speech. Eee hee hee." She stopped, her laughs morphing to a sob. The spell had worked a lot better last time she'd tried it! How had her control over her magic gotten worse? Her brother had been able to properly use speaking spells. He'd been able to do everything a leader should perfectly. Yet here she was, in his place. Midna buried her face in her hands. She should have been there for him. She should have been able to protect him. Why had she been chosen as leader? She wasn't cut out to be a queen. She would still have her best friend and her brother if she hadn't been chosen.

"Midna!" She looked up slightly. A gray blob vaguely shaped like a person stood some ways away. She couldn't make out any more details. Curses to the stupid darkness that had stolen her vision!

"Who's there?" She couldn't speak louder than a whisper. Her head was heavy in her hands. Something wasn't right, as she was steadily coming to realize.

"Link?" Her mind was like the shadows blocking her vision, but one thought was sharp and bright as lightning. She was angry. Something more was going on, something more than just a bit of magic being too much for her. She was the Twilight Queen! Of course something wasn't right if she hadn't been able to manage some simple magic! How had she not noticed!? Did she really have that little faith in her own abilities!?

"Sh, my queen. Let's take a walk." This voice was clearly not Link's strong quiet one, though she'd already figured out it wasn't him. This voice was squeaky and child-like, even as it tried to sound threatening. It filled her with even more anger, so much she was consumed by it. But it wasn't enough to keep the darkness from filling her as she blacked out.