An Unexpected Entrance

A portal dropped Midna off at the dead end of a dark winding road. A wrought iron circled frame hung in mid air a few feet in front of her. There was no one around and when she looked up, there was a perfect view of the twilight sky. It was quiet here, that's why she liked it.

She'd gone to check out the planned location for the memorial in the center of the realm, but hadn't stayed there long. People had begun to gather there. Which was fine, they had every right to be there. It was Midna who didn't belong. Here though... This was a place she truly belonged. This was a place she could truly be alone.

She was at what remained of the Mirror of Twilight. Now, without the mirror, it was just a nice quiet place, an empty darkness that surrounded what once was the gateway to the Light Realm. Until she'd destroyed it with a single tear. That's how powerful she had become. She might even be considered one of the most powerful and she lacked a triforce, unlike Princess Zelda and Link. Link didn't need the triforce to be powerful though. He was already brave and strong and selfless before he realized he had a triforce. Before he realized the powers he possessed. He'd still barely realized what powers he possessed when she'd left. Left, left him. She'd left him! She'd traded the only light she'd ever cared about for a realm of only darkness. How could she be so stupid!? She could have had it all, a beautiful kingdom and the wolf of her dreams. Why did she have to be, deep down inside of her, a good person!? Why did she have to protect the Light Realm from the darkness stored inside her realm and her's from the light stored there?

"Link must hate me." There was no way he didn't. She hadn't explained her reason to him. If she had he would have changed her mind. Just talking to him would have. Looking at him almost had. How was she to explain that it was partially her fault, that she wasn't sure she could prevent something like it from happening again in the future?

How would she explain that if she ever saw him again? No, it was a pointless torture to think of such things. Instead she wondered about what he must be doing right now. He was probably off fighting some monster. Or maybe he was back home, basking in the light he'd returned and enjoying the company of the friends he'd risked his life to save. Or maybe he was still at the desert castle, thinking about her. Maybe he hadn't even left there. Like he was waiting there, hopeful for her to return. No, there was no way Princess Zelda would have let him stay. She was too wise to let him stay. She would have found a way to force him to leave, to move on. So, most likely, he was with Princess Zelda right now. The two of them exploring the newly rebuilt castle, hand in hand. Midna wouldn't blame him for it. Princess Zelda was beautiful and kind and powerful. And queen, though she chose to retain the title of princess. She was perfect for him. Link and Princess Zelda.

Midna gagged and started to walk down the path away from what remained of the mirror. There was a loud crack behind her, so she spun around quickly to investigate. The ground in front of the mirror had opened up, blackened dirt crumbling around the edges into a deep trench.

"What the..." Midna started to say, but was interrupted as a blur of light rushed out of the newly formed hole. It went up and up. She followed it with her eyes, although her head snapped back down when the ground closed with a bang. The blur of light drifted back down to the ground slowly and came to rest at the base of the mirror.

Midna stared at it, feeling angry. What was this light doing, daring to show its face in her realm!? Gradually she began to work out colors amid the light. Greens, tans, sandy blonds, browns and blood reds. Her mind struggled to comprehend what she was seeing. The colors blurred and shifted. It wasn't until she saw two blue eyes that she realized what or who she was seeing.

"Link?" she questioned, walking closer to investigate. It couldn't be him. Something burned her skin with each step closer. It hurt so much she was forced to step back.

"Don't!" Link gasped. It was definitely his voice, though a version of it shattered by pain. "It's light." No duh. But what was it doing there? Even better, more important question, what was he doing there? How? It shouldn't have even been possible.

"What are you doing here?" she asked.

"Not...sure..." he said, breathing heavily in between each word. It was clear he was in a lot of pain and it made Midna shake with rage that she wasn't able to help him.

"What happened to you?" Concern saturated her voice. She hated it.

"A light...monster. It attacked." He was moving, trying to sit up, one hand clutching his side. Blood seeped through his fingers. "I...couldn't stop it. Too powerful... Foolish... Must go back..." His breathing had become so ragged whole words were disappearing. Seconds ticked by as Midna puzzled over what he meant.

"Are you sure it was a Light Spirit?" Light Spirits were good. They were servants of the Goddesses. They wouldn't have attacked Link. Midna, maybe. But Link? No.

"Not spirit. Monster. Something new." The shards of light surrounding Link cracked and crumbled to dust.

"Hmm. It must have cycled again," he dazedly mumbled before falling forward. Midna rushed over and caught him just before he slammed into the ground. The light dust burned and cut painfully into her bare feet, yet she didn't notice.

"Link! Don't you dare die! Please! In the name of the Akuma, please!" she begged. She couldn't do anything to help him. Her magic was useless when it came to saving. Her powers were of manipulations and shadows and illusions. Not of healing and life and light. That was what Princess Zelda's powers could do. Only she was an impossible distance away.

"Link! I... The Light Realm was supposed to be safe now! You were supposed to be strong enough to protect yourself!" Was it safe to move him? Could she risk portaling him? Probably not, but there was no way she could leave him.

"You stupid wolf! Why are you always so careless!?" she yelled as she waved her hand and a blue portal materialized above them. She clung to Link tightly as the portal took them away.

"Please... Don't die..."