Beware, O Hero Chosen by the Goddesses

"Hoo boy, y'all can herd 'em! That must be a new record!" Fado cheered as Link locked the stable. Maybe it was a record, but the sky was also steadily approaching dark. Link had spent way more time at the ranch than he had planned. Fado hadn't been kidding when he said he'd gotten some wild goats. Wild might have even been an understatement.

"Really, y'all have some sort of talent here."

"I have a talent for goat herding?" Link tried not to sound sarcastic as he got on Epona.

"Yes. I haven't met anyone with skills like you an' Epona have."

"How many other goat herders do you know?" Link was genuinely curious.

"Still, y'all got the gift," Fado said gruffly, angry at what seemed like an insult.

"Maybe you're right," Link said with a soft sigh. He waved goodbye.

"It was nice hangin' out like we used to, Link," Fado called, but Link had already rode Epona into the village and was out of earshot.

Link rode through the town swiftly, waving to the few people he saw. He didn't really see them, he was too deep in the thoughts that took over him like a bad storm.

Perhaps he should just become a goat herder like Fado. Forget about the legacy of being the Goddesses chosen hero. Maybe things could go back to normal then. Maybe he could forget about Midna then. Maybe then he could feel a sense of completion instead of the nagging sense of unfinished business that still plagued him.

A bright light flashed in his eyes, like the sun reflected off of something shiny. Stopping Epona, Link looked around. Nothing shiny, yet the light still proceeded to annoy him.

He flicked his wrist, using the reins to urge Epona forward. He stopped again, having now found what was messing with his vision. The triforce, its golden beauty etched into the back of his left hand, the top most point a little below his knuckles. One of the three triangles glowed brighter than the rest. Link rubbed it with his hand furiously. The Goddesses just wouldn't leave him alone. Not even for a second to feel bad about everything and consider his life choices!? What did they want now? Was there danger? Had something happened? Or were the Goddesses just reminding him they were there?

Link sighed and stopped his pointless rubbing. He shifted his shirt sleeve so that it hid the burning mark.

"Come on Epona, let's get going." A faint triangle glowed through the thick cloth of his sleeve. Link ignored it as best as he could, focusing instead on guiding his horse forward.

They rode past the spring and to the gate leading to the forest. Link thought briefly of stopping and looking for Ilia, but he quickly dismissed the idea. It wouldn't be long until the glowing rainbow of sunset and from there the all consuming dark cloak of night. It could be dangerous traveling at night. The sooner he left the better.

"Yo, Link! What took you so long? We've been waiting here since early morning." Three villagers stood around a wagon filled with large orange pumpkins. Link glanced at all of them. Jaggle looked annoyed and was shifting a heavy bundle that was hoisted over his shoulder so he could be more comfortable. Pergie, with her brown hair tied back by a red bandana, was lifting her son, Talo, into the wagon. Talo, a boy full of energy and a tendency to raise cain, had been a bit downcast as of late. His younger brother Malo had started a business in Kakariko Village, which meant they had grown distant. Talo wasn't sure what to do without his brother. He'd started helping out with the family pumpkin business, much to everyone's surprise.

"I am sorry. Is everyone ready to go now?" Link asked. He felt guilty, even though if the villagers had been in such a hurry it wouldn't have taken long to find him.