Extensive Test of Strength

"It doesn't belong here. Its home is in the Zora's fountain. It... Midna... Where are you!?" Someone had robbed Link's eyes of light. He couldn't see anything. He took a step forward, wondering if it would be his last. The water at his feet seemed to eat at his skin. Yet it was nothing compared to whatever was tearing him apart inside. It was like there was a beast inside him trying to rip its way through his flesh and blood. How long till the beast won? How long till he was torn to pieces, lost in the water? Nothing left but a memory. He shuddered at the thought.

Link took a few more steps. He felt like his strength was being stolen, like he was losing a little more of himself each second. He faltered, felt himself tremble as he failed to take another step.

'Weak,' a disgusted voice told him. It wasn't Midna, he didn't even know where she was. The voice belonged to someone he'd hoped he would never have to hear from again.

"Ganondorf..." Link mumbled. He barely had enough strength to stand now.

'You repulse me, hero. How have you beaten me time and time again when it is this easy to strip you of your power?' Link crumbled, splashing into the water. Where was Midna? He hoped she was okay.

"A sword wields no strength unless the hand that holds it has courage," he muttered, determinedly trying to pull himself up. The water got the best of him, pulling him underneath. Though it hadn't been deep before, somehow he sank so far under he lost track of which way the surface was.

'What a nice sentiment. Let's see where it gets you this time, shall we?' Link's efforts to escape to the surface were in vain. As the water dragged him deeper under, air became a thing of the past. It became a memory his lungs craved with every aching moment spent without it. Yet he refused to give up. He refused to give in to the evil that had stolen his vision and was trying to kill him.

"Nice try Ganondorf..." he sputtered through a mouthful of water, precious bubbles of air escaping through his lips.

'I hate you heroes. You don't know when to quit!' The water disappeared and the air returned. Link gasped in a breath. That was a mistake. The air turned to flames, blistering his skin and burning his throat raw. He tried to scream, but he couldn't make a sound louder than the cackling.

"Link!" Midna's voice, dancing across the flames and landing gracefully on his pointy ears. More beautiful than the sweetest song. He fought through unconsciousness, clinging on to the sound of her calling his name.

"The blood of the hero is in my veins... You can't defeat me that easily!" He screamed the first words that came to his mind, fire flooding his mouth as he risked opening it again.

The words bounced back to him in an echo as the air changed once again. It turned ice cold, freezing Link to the ground. He shivered violently. His skin had been weakened by the burns and now the ice had access to the blood beneath his seared flesh.

"I killed the Stalliege... What did you do to help... Please tell me what's wrong!" Once again she brought him back from the brink of unconsciousness. He didn't question her voice being there, it gave him the courage to fight through the pain. The ground was so cold on his hands and bare feet. Why was it so cold...

'Just give up! It would be so much easier for you. This is getting pathetic and you are testing my patience.' Nothing. It was like everything had disappeared. Link was alone in a never ending darkness.

"How are you even here? I defeated you..." Link asked amid ice filled shakes, heat filled burns and desperate gulps for air.

'I'm not. See? That's how weak and pathetic you are. Strip a hero of all his friends and gadgets and strength, what are you left with? A sad broken wolf. A weakling. A pitiful excuse for a savior.'