Unexpected Emotions - {Kogagoshi}

At the training camp, Goshiki was obviously the most skilled there. His line shots were impeccable and his cross shots were drastic. Hinata was surprised he hadn't seen it in the finals against Shiritorizawa, but that was probably because all of the sets went to Ushijima, not Goshiki.

However, it didn't mean Goshiki got along with anyone. He was smug and overly confident in his abilities. Yes, he wasn't being mean like Tsukishima but he seemed just as bad with his cocky attitude. Goshiki's' unflappable pride and smugness just pissed everyone off so much. He was too good at it all, and he didn't seem to need to put in much work during any of the games. Besides, he'd already proven himself to be as intelligent as Tsukishima which meant he wasn't just a genius at volleyball but easily passed his academic exams.

It was so annoying, in Hinata's' opinion. No one should be that perfect. He even made his bangs look cool and that was something no one should be able to do!

It was after practice, when most camp attendees had gone home, when Koganegawa came running through the doors, dragging Tsukishima, Kindaichi and Kunimi behind him. "Hinata!" He screamed, charging at the ballboy with intense speed.

"Gah!" Hinata dove out of the way, tumbling across the ground as he avoided the onslaught. "Kogane?! What is it?!"

"We want you to fire some quicks at us so we can practise blocking!" Kogane said brightly with a grin. "Kunimi says he'll toss some sets up to you. He's no Kageyama but it'll be good, right?"

Hinata looked up at Kindaichi and Tsukishima, surprised. "He's really persuasive sometimes," Admitted Kindaichi, avoiding Hinata's' stare. "Besides, you are good at spikes and quick on your feet. You'd be good to practise against."

Tsukishima just smirked coldly. "And I want to see you get your spirits crushed as I shut your attacks down every time."

Hinata gasped, offended. "What? But, Tsuki, we're on the same team!"

"So what? C'mon, Hinata, let's see if you really are decent on your own without the perfect King Kageyama tossing to you!"

"Why, you-!" Hinata swelled up indignantly. "I'll show you, you grumpy four-eyes, I don't need Kageyama to be a good spiker!"

Tsukishima peered down at him cruelly. "Well, prove it! Go fetch all the balls for us, ball boy, okay?"

Hinata glared, before spinning on his heel with a pout, marching angrily into the storage room. Eventually, the others were out of earshot and he swung open the equipment storage room door only to hear someone yelp in fright from inside and a shuffling sound.

"Huh?" He turned on the lights and peered in, curiously. "Is someone there?"

Whoever had made the noise was definitely trying not to be noticed now because all Hinata could hear now was the distant chatter of Kogane, Kindaichi, Kunimi and Tsukishima. The ball boy listened hard, staring intently when the tiniest movement caught his eye. Against the wall, a faint shadow scooted behind the trolley of gym mats, barely making a sound.

Hinata crept in closer, picking up on nervous breathing. "Hello?" He called out quietly. "Are you alright?"

There was a shuffling noise, as someone tried to move further away and now Hinata knew he hadn't been imagining it. He jumped around the corner with a victorious grin on catching the hidden person only to be confused.

Goshiki was hiding behind the mats, face wet with tears and breathing rough and ragged.

Hinata was in shock, tilting his head. "Huh? Goshiki?"

Goshiki visibly panicked, scrambling to his feet and trying to dash past the stunned ball boy, but Hinata reacted fast.

"W-Wait, Goshiki!" He called out, reaching out to grab Shiratorizawa's' future ace. He caught onto Goshiki's' hand but Goshiki jumped away from his grip, crashing into the ball cage, sending it toppling loudly, and falling down himself onto the hard floor, screaming out in fright and pain.