Chapter 4: promise

Y/n's POV:

I threw my head back as I sat against the white wall, trying to catch my breath from the conditioning we had to do.

"Before you guys leave, the team will be posted in the main hallway by the attendance office with your student numbers, not your name. Alright?"

Myself, along with all of the other girls in the gym nodded our heads as the coach waved us off.

I stood up and walked to the locker room, grabbing my duffel bag. I didn't bother to change from my now semi-wet clothes. I began walking down the main hallway when someone from behind called my name.

I turned around and saw the girl from earlier, Jordyn I think, "Y/N wait up"

I stood in place as I waited for her to catch up to me.

"What's up?"
"You wanna go get some food?"

I opened my mouth to answer but I quickly closed it when I got a text from my mom.

'Mom: I have work, you gotta babysit. Jax has football practice so he can't, I'm outside your school hurry'

I read the text and threw my head back in annoyance.

"My mom just texted me and said I have to babysit, I can't sorry"
"It's all good, maybe next time. It was nice meeting you" She gave me a fist bump and walked back in the opposite direction.

I exited the double doors and climbed into the passenger seat of my moms silver Toyota, the girls were in the backseat.

-

I walked onto campus and seen the majority of the students with Red and Grey face paint or wearing some kind of supportive shirt or gear for the school team.

I squeezed through a few groups of students crowding the hallway and made it to my locker that I still had trouble opening. It's so complicated for literally no reason.

While I was in the middle of trying to unlock the piece of trash that was my locker, I turned my head a bit to the right to see my favorite cheerleader walking over to me with a grin.

"Hey" I greeted, feeling her subtly poke my sides which made me smile and laugh.
"Hi, need help?"

I nodded, letting out a deep exhale trying to calm myself down.

"I would love your help"
"First, where's my compliment?"

I watched as she stepped back and did a twirl, the dimples on her face never faltering. I couldn't help the shocked facial expression I was showing.

When I heard her laugh, I snapped from whatever trance I was just in and licked my lips.

"I'll take your silence as a compliment" She said stepping in front of me and doing my locker combination with ease.
"You look beautiful"
"Thank you, I'm aware of how good I look"

I watched as she jokingly pretended to be cocky, flipping her ponytail. I turned my attention back to my now unlocked locker and grabbed my science book, putting my economics one back.

"So, I heard you tried out for basketball"
"I did"
"Did you make the team?" She asked politely, crossing her fingers as she did so.
"I...have no idea" I said shutting my locker.
"Then let's go see"

I didn't get a chance to say anything because she grabbed my hand and led us over there anyway.

When we got to the wall with the new Varsity team I took a deep breath then began searching for my student number.