Chapter 8: I need a favor

Y/N's POV:

I happily passed my test up after Mr.Benjamin called the time. The majority of the class was kinda pissed but myself and a few others in the class didn't care.

The test was easy. It was a simple review of everything I had learned last year at my old school but apparently this class wasn't up to speed.

I picked my things up off the ground and slid my backpack onto my shoulders, exiting the class.

"Hey Santos"

I turned around to see Ariana running toward me with her backpack half open and her hands tightly grasping the white folder with her school work.

"How the hell did you finish the quiz so fast? I was struggling on- like everything"
"Math is kinda easy for me and we learned everything you're learning right now last year" I said proudly.

She pulled her phone and looked at the new notification then threw her head back.

"Oh shit- my coach is texting me I have to go but is there any way you could tutor me or something? I really need the help. If I don't bring my grade up I'll be off the cheer team and I have a scholarship that I can't lose"

Without thinking I immediately agreed.

"Um- uh- sure? I mean I'd have to check with my coach what time my practices are for the week but we could probably work something out"
"Literally let me know the time and the place and I'm there" She said almost immediately after I finished speaking.

She put her hand on my shoulder and smiled up at me, "Thank you so much, you're literally a life saver"

I gave her a similar one and a nod, "Yeah no problem"
"I'll see you at the game" She said with the same smile before speeding off.

I turned around and kept walking toward the gym until I heard Violet approach me from behind.

"So you and Grande are friends now or what?" She asked sassily, looking at her nails and trying to act unbothered by my previous interaction with Ariana.

"You sound jealous V"
"I'm not"
"Mhmm" I mumbled, not believing a word she said.

"I'm not" She repeated while lightly pushing me with a laugh.

Yet another moment of silence passed before she spoke up again.

"Have you thought about who you're taking to the spring formal?" She asked and I just shook my head.

A spring formal?

"That's a real thing? I thought that was only in the movies, when is it?"

She laughed and rolled her eyes at my comment, "The week before Spring Break so like late March or Early April, sometime around there"

"You on the ASB committee thing or what?" I asked her as I stopped by my locker, putting away a few books and grabbing my sports bag.
"As a matter of fact, I am" She said proudly, smiling from ear to ear.

Cute.

"Is this your way of telling me you want to go with me? Cause dances aren't really my thing"

She leaned against the locker beside mine and looked up at me as she spoke, "Why not? Dances are so much fun, I promise you'll have a good time"

I just looked at her and shook my head then turned back to my locker, listening to her scoff.

"Let's say I do entertain the idea of going to the spring formal, what am I supposed to look forward to? Dancing in a gym with a bunch of people I don't know?"

"None of our dances are ever in the gym, gross. Besides looking forward to seeing me," She paused to punch my arm before continuing, "The school has a large budget and my friends and I like to go all out every year but more this year 'cause we're seniors and it's the last year of high school"

"I'm not convinced still" I said shutting my locker and beginning to walk again. She audibly groaned, "I literally can't tell you the venue or anything like that but I can promise you that you'll have the best time"

"So what's the theme?"
"That my dear cannot be shared either, you'll have to wait and find out like everyone else. It'll be on the announcements later today" She then blew me a kiss and met up with one of her other friends before walking away and leaving me standing alone in the empty hallway.

Before she turned the corner, I watched as she sent me a wink along with a grin. As I stared in awe, an arm wrapped around my shoulder. I looked to my left to see Dalton with a basketball in his hand.

"We need to talk"

I let out a heavy sigh as I continued to walk to class, him still following.
"About?"
"Ariana"

"What about her?"
"You know her or what?" He asked and I rolled my eyes at the stupidity.
"Obviously or I wouldn't have asked you to elaborate"

I pushed his arm off of me, "What does this have to do with me?"
"You two friends or what?"
"I wouldn't go that far but I'd say we're acquainted"

"I need a favor" He said tossing the ball in the air, the chewing of his gum only increasing as time passed.
"Things would be a lot smoother if you didn't generalize everything you say"

"I wanna talk to her"

"She's right there" I said pointing toward the cheerleader who was walking ahead of us.
"Not like that, like I want to ask her out- like on a date or something"

I began to grow annoyed at the point, wanting to be left along, "You can literally ask her yourself"
"Yeah I know but I want you to put a good word in for me"
"I'll think about it"

"That's all I ask" He said with a smug look, putting his hands up as he walked backwards. His friends had found him and they started being excessively loud.

After the minute bell had rang I finally made it to class, taking my seat and pulling out a pencil.

When I looked forward I saw Ariana standing in the front looking nervous. She smiled and waved shyly at me, her attention moving to the teacher who had just walked in.

I looked back down at my desk then back up, watching Ariana walk toward me. After she passed me, I felt the back of my head flicked.

I turned around to comfort her but instead smiled instantly when I saw her already smiling at me.