Chapter 16: And Violet?

Y/N's POV:

I slipped my jacket on with my backpack to quickly follow. It was 7:15 meaning I was 15 minutes late to Violet and I's breakfast date.

I swung the door open and looked around for Violet who has just stood up from the booth after she checked her phone and assumed I wasn't going to show.

"Hey, sorry"

My hands fell to her shoulders to push her back to sit down but she insisted on standing.

"I'm sorry it's just—"

I stopped speaking when her hand flew up and she shook her head.

I messed up.

"I'm gonna head to school early to get some extra tutoring in with Mr.Benjamin" I nodded silently as we exchanged tight-lipped smiles.

I internally debated with myself, wanting to go after her but figured things would be easier if I didn't. It'd give her time to cool off before I permanently ruined things between us.

My backpack fell off my shoulders and I tossed it to the other side of the booth then slid inside, picking up the menu to order food despite my newly-found lack of an appetite.

The waitress and Ariana came to my table at the same time, both of them exchanging weird looks before looking my way.

"Could you give me a few minutes?" I asked the waitress, Maya.

She gave me a quick nod and walked away.

Ariana pushed my backpack to the side and slid into the empty seat across from me, picking up a menu then starting a conversation with me.

"You goin' to the formal?"

I shrugged, my eyes going to the waffle section and eyeing each platter.

"I haven't decided but I'm leaning toward no, what about you?"

My eyes peeked over the laminated book to see nothing but a high ponytail swing every time she turned her head.

"Yeah, I was wondering if you wanted to go shopping later to pick out what you're gonna wear or help me decide"

I laid the menu flat on the table, crossing my arms and leaning forward, "I'll let you know by lunch"

Ariana soon did the same, mocking my current position with a smile. I shook my head with a small grin, trying my best to hide it with an eye roll and a hint of annoyance.

"So who's your date?"

Before she could answer, Maya, our server came over and asked for our drink choices. I got a water and she got an orange juice.

With a sudden lack of eye contact, Ariana shyly answered, "Dalton, he asked me last week"

I silently nodded.

"Has Violet asked you yet, or?"

"Nope, I'm pretty sure I ruined her plan of asking me this morning by being late to our breakfast plans" 

Ariana's POV:

"You could always come as a thief with Dalton-" She swiftly cut me off, declining the offer before I could even finish.

I sipped my OJ through the plastic straw, silently staring at Y/N who's interest peaked at the colorful jukebox a few feet from where we sat.

"Hey—"

Startled by the sudden excitement from the girl across from me, my attention quickly switched to the nearest object which happened to be Y/N's phone that just so-happened to have a new text from who I assumed to be Violet.