Chapter 1: California

Y/n's POV:

After my name was called on the intercoms, my basketball coach allowed me to leave practice early. I slipped off my White Mambas and slid into my Nike Slides.

"I'll see you at the game on Friday coach" I waved goodbye to my teammates as well as my coach, grabbing my sports bag and letting the strap rest of my shoulder as I walked through the double doors of the gym and out into the hallway.

"Hey V" I waved to the brunette as I passed her, wiping my forehead sweat with the hem of my shirt.

I opened the glass door to the attendance office and was about to greet Heather, the red-headed receptionist, but I stopped myself when I saw 6 police officers just a few feet away from where I was standing.

One of the officers stepped forward with his hands resting on the top of his vest, he towered over me, "You Y/n? Y/n Óneiro?"

I gulped.

"It's Y/n Santos, Ónerio was supposed to be taken off my record"

"We need to ask you a few questions about this morning. Go ahead and take a seat in the principals office, I'll be in there in a minute"

I nodded my head and did as I was told, heading toward Mr.Green's open office. I slid my bag off my shoulder and set my shoes on top of it, taking a seat in the semi-broken wooden chair that's been here since I was in 6th grade.

Mr.Green's office always smelled weird, like green beans with a mix of Mayo and black coffee.

Both, Disgusting and Disturbing.

Out of boredom, I leaned forward and began admiring his pictures and little toys that laid on his desk.

I grabbed the black framed photo of him and his wife, bringing it closer to my eyes.

I remember Mrs.Green, she always gave me detention for riding my scooter in the hallways during passing period. I hated her. I'm so glad she got fired for sleeping with a student that was half her age.

Boy was that $20 worth it.

I jumped and flung the frame across his desk out of shock when the officer came in.

The Blonde woman pulled out a notepad and took a seat on the wooden desk. I looked to my left and saw the officer from earlier leaning against the door frame, his hand on his gun.

"There's no need for your gun sir, I'm too lazy to run from you anyway" I said turning my attention back toward the female officer.
"It's just a precaution"

I rolled my eyes and sat back further in my seat.

"So when was the last time you spoke to Mr.Santos?"

"The last time I heard from him was before I left for school this morning"

She began writing something down on the notepad, I assumed it was my answer but I could be wrong.

There was a brief moment of silence before I spoke again, this time out of curiosity.
"Why?"

The female officer nodded toward the door and the douchebag followed her subtle command, closing the door behind him.

She let out a sigh, tucking a loose strand of her hair behind her ear and squatting down to my level.

"What's going on? What happened to my dad?"

"We don't know all the details at the moment so I can't really explain it but what we do know is that there was a murder..."

A murder? What?

"Well who died? What does this have to do with me? Why am I being questioned?"

She looked toward the ground, repeatedly clicking the cap of her ink pen as she did so.

"Your father was the victim Ms.Santos"

"No- No. You're lying" I said with tears in my eyes, picking up my bag and pushing the female officer away from me.

"Ms.Santos, please calm down"

I opened the door to Mr.Green's office and brushed by the male officer on my way out.

"Where is my daught- Y/n, my poor baby" I slapped the Latina's hands off of me and stormed out of the main office.

"Y/n wait"

I ran toward the double doors, pushing one of them open. I sprinted to my car and was about to open the driver door when I felt cold hands grab me from behind.

"Let me go" I screamed as tears streamed down my face, swinging my arms in every direction to try to break free from her grasp.

"I'm your mother Y/n, please just let me hold you" She begged softly, not letting go.

I eventually broke down, allowing her to wrap me in her arms as I violently sobbed in her chest.

-

I felt my head repeatedly hit something, causing me to open my eyes. The light from outside damn near blinded me but with the help of my hands, I was able to see.

I took in my surroundings, a seatbelt, a window- am I in a car?

I looked to the left of me to see my so-called mother in the driver seat.

"The tears put you to sleep huh? Crying makes you tired I guess"

"Why the hell are you kidnapping me?" I asked as I pulled on my seatbelt, making it lock on me.

"I'm not kidnapping you, I'm your legal guardian now Y/n. I have full custody and you're residing with me until you're 18 then the choice is yours"

"I'll just jump out of the car and hitch a ride Olivia" I put my hand on the door handle and tried to open it, only to realize the child safety was on.

I groaned, leaning back in the seat to try to nap again but she kept trying to have a conversation with me. After 15 minutes of her non-stop talking I gave in.

"Fine, where are we going?"
"The Land of Milk and Honey" She said proudly.

What does that even mean?

"To where?"
"California"