Chapter 5: Thanks

Y/N's POV:

I was woken up by about fifteen missed calls from Jordyn. After I opened my eyes, I grabbed my phone and answered the sixteenth.

"It's like seven in the morning on a Saturday, there a reason you're blowing up my phone?"
"Yes actually, there is. I'm on my way to your house"

I rolled onto my back, resting my head on my pillow.

"What for?"
"We have a scrimmage against some school named Valley"
"Alright bye"
"Bye"

I stepped out of bed and onto the cold tile in my bathroom.

Turning the knob, my left arm was met with freezing cold water from the shower head. I quickly stripped from my clothes and hopped in the shower.

-

"How did you even get my address?" I asked Jordyn as I sat down in the passenger seat. I buckled my seatbelt while she put the Kia in reverse and backed out of the driveway.

"No time for questions, Mariah is playing" She said turning up 'Fantasy' by Mariah Carey.

I sang along with a smile on my face as she screamed the lyrics.

After the short drive to the school, we grabbed our duffle bags from the backseat and headed inside.

When we walked in, our team was already laced up in their warm-up gear and doing pre-game drills. I looked toward the bleachers and spotted the bright red cheer uniform, the cheerleaders were here, great.

I tried my best to subtly look for Violet but couldn't find her.

"Santos" My coach called out.

I turned my attention toward the bench where he was with a clipboard and half of the team.

"Lace up, you're starting Shooting Guard with Diaz and Gomez"

Choking on my breath, I nodded and pulled my Black Mamba's from my bag.
"Why the hell am I starting? I can't even play-"
"-shut up, you're gonna do great" I said nudging Jordyn as she sat down beside me.

I waited for her to finish lacing her shoes before we walked onto the court. I tucked my jersey into my pants and rolled up my shorts a bit.

-

There was roughly 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter and we were down by 5, coach had the brilliant idea to let me inbound the ball. After the ref blew the whistle, I passed the ball to #11 who passed it back as soon as I stepped onto the court.

Using my left hand, I put up '1' which caused the girls to move, getting Gomez open for the 3. I passed the ball to her and ran down near the rim for the rebound.

I watched as she jumped up, sinking the 3.

The small crowd cheered as we got back on defense.

One of the girls got passed the ball but couldn't catch, giving me the opportunity to steal the ball. I dribbled down the court with no defenders in front of me, giving me the perfect opportunity for a game-tying layup.

I went up with the ball in my right hand, letting it go off my fingertips. After I landed on the ground, I looked up to see the ball rolling around the orange rim, eventually falling off as the buzzer sounded.

Myself along with the rest of my teammates dropped our heads and scoffed as the other team cheered.

We shook hands with the other team and their coaches before we were dismissed.

I passed by the bleachers on my way out, one of the cheerleaders calling out my jersey number.

I turned my head toward the voice to see yet another brunette with a high ponytail,
"Hey #3" she called out.
"You suck"

(😭😭😭)

I rolled my eyes and walked out, hearing them obnoxiously laugh.

Jordyn was staying to watch the boys game so I was left to walk. As I exited the gym and walked out to the parking lot, a Red Altima started driving beside me.

"Need a ride?"

I turned my head to the left to see Violet smiling with black marks on her cheeks. I shrugged before getting into the passenger seat, my bag resting on the floor between my legs.

"You wanna go get ice cream?"
"You asking me on a date?"

She punched my arm and rolled her eyes as we laughed.

"You're annoying"
"You're in love with me"

"Am not"

"You are but I'm willing to let it slide if you tell me how your practice was" I said while putting my seatbelt on.

She shook her head as she watched the road.

"It was...something else. Courtney showed up and-"
"Who's Courtney?"
"I'll tell you sometime, just not right now"

The rest of the car ride was filled with laughs and giggles on the way to get ice cream.

-

Today was Tuesday, our first season game and I've never been more nervous to play basketball. I don't want to fuck up like I did on Saturday.

Currently, I'm in AP Chem doing the worksheet that the sub had given us.

"If you need some layup tips, I could give you some" Dalton teased, his other teammate Zeke laughing along with him.

I rolled my eyes and ignored him until he made another stupid joke.

"If you need some tips on how to keep a girl, I could give you some. Heard the break up was brutal" I said with a smile, grabbing my notebook and standing up as the bell rang.

"That was kinda hot Ms.Santos" Violet said as she nudged me.
"You think I'm hot, I know"

I watched her roll her eyes and smile up at me as we walked the halls.

"I'll see you at the game"

-

We were in the damn near the position that we were in Saturday, however, instead of being down by 2 points we were tied. They had the ball with less than a minute left.

Coach had put me as the center for the last quarter, meaning I was near the rim. After their lead scorer missed her shot, I grabbed the rebound and threw it to Gomez who was running down the court.

She caught the ball and went up for a layup, missing in the same way I did.

I ran across the court and got passed the ball by Jordyn, wide open in the corner for the three pointer.

I took a deep breath before jumping up and sinking the shot, giving us the win.

My teammates and favorite cheerleader jumped onto me, screaming in my ear.

After a quick celebration, I had to go home. The girls wanted me to go over to jasmine's house for pizza but my mom said no.

As I walked to my house, I heard the neighbors window open and their head peek out.
"Hey #3"

I looked up to the window, seeing the brunette girl with a high ponytail from Saturday smiling.

"You didn't suck today"
"Thanks" I said laughing as I walked to my front door.