Chapter 12 : Hit By Delirium & A Chancleta

I was just cleaning the very last room at Summer Inn where I worked. When this sudden assault of fatigue and delirium had affected my body. Clearly I was not giving it much thought as to whether it was serious or not.
So I rested for a little while to regain some sense of consciousness. This wasn't the first time something like this had happen to me. It had occurred quite frequently over the years.

The worst part was I couldn't tell my daughter even if I wanted to. It would have put too much stress on her and besides maybe this is just some side effect to excessive hard work.

I had experience a series of nausea and some head splitting headaches on some days. Maybe it's due to the fact that I am overworked. After a good thirty minutes or so, I had stood up to get a glass of water. Yet it had happen so sudden, it was as if the world started spinning and went pitch black and my ears started ringing like when a heart-lung machine was flat lining.

Next thing I knew I had started crying from the excruciating pain. It felt like my senses were being robbed from me. I was all alone and vulnerable with absolutely no one to call out to. Then very soon after there came the vomiting and soon the tottering started. I had absolutely no time to collect myself when I tipped backward and fainted.

It was an hour or two before I had came back from the state of temporary death. Quickly looking around I had gather my belongings and headed where the others where.

It was quite tedious working as a house keeper at an inn like this one. When I measure the average work I do daily and compare it with my paycheck. I could really do with a raise right now. Yet I simply couldn't just walk away from this job. It didn't matter how much I wanted to because I had expenses and we'll sitting on my bum wasn't going to provide my basic necessities.

It was basically required everyday except with the exception of a day off. That I would have to clock in at work at exactly six in the morning. Yet due to what had happened today, things was going to be different. So I hurriedly finished my shift and clocked out at two in the afternoon. So I could hurriedly leave the establishment and head home.

All I wanted was to get a good lay in my humble abode and then get started on dinner and finally see my Little Bug. Yet that is the funny thing about life, we all can't have what we desire. Now can we?.
Just as I was heading towards the entrance so that I could finally leave. My boss Rosálynda Margiñez had decided it was somehow marvellous to stop me for a friendly chat.

Now don't get me wrong it's nice and all to be cordial with your boss, but my brain was sending my body a message that it was time to shut down.

Rosálynda Margiñez is one spicy Latina, and was more popularly known as Rosie. She is a fifty year old red head that stood proudly at five feet and five inches. It is a pity that I couldn't tell her the truth behind who I was because I would have to reveal my true identity to her.

" Hey Amélie, ¿A dónde vas a tan temprano?. How are you ? ".
She asked me in a polite tone with her voice heavily laced with her La República de Dominicana accent right through her speech.

" I am not feeling too well. So I have decided to clock out early to get a good rest. Enough about me how - ".
I answered her calmly being mindful of my body's limitation.
Before I could finish what I was saying, she had cut me.

" No, you don't get to do that Amélie. Stop diverting from the fact that you are obviously not fine and neither am I. Chica tú necesitas descanso. Rest Amélie, I don't care what you say. I am giving you a two week break to rejuvenate and bounce back.

Don't start with me mamí, you'll still get your paycheck. So you are not left to wade through the waters. Está bien chica bonita? ".
She said to me in a determine tone as she gave me a mean pinch.

While she demanded an answer out of me. I gave out a tired laugh as I gazed at her stern facial expression. It was quite similar to that of my late parents, especially my mom. My laugh immediately got choked up upon the sudden reminder.

" Está bien jefa. Alright I will rest but on a serious note though. Thank you Rosálynda Margiñez ".

I knew I was in big trouble as soon as I had used her government name. Just as I am getting ready to dash off she had grabbed my arm in a death grip. Then proceeded to swat me with her chancleta two times on my thigh.
She had raised her arm to give me one more hit. Somehow, in the knick of time I managed to evade her and let out a hearty laugh. I then bid her goodbye and went home.

After I had arrived back home I had showered. Then I got a good hour or two of rest before I was up on my feet to prepare dinner and hear all about my Little Bug's day.

I had prepared a bourbon-glazed sticky ribs with coleslaw and baked potatoes alongside some falafel wraps and macaroni cheese with stuffed vegetables as the main course. It was accompanied with a watermelon cooler, some punch of the sort. Then Pavlova was served as dessert.

As I had untied the 'hug & compliment the chef' apron and place it on the kitchen counter behind me. My Anna hollered out from the front door saying, "honey I am home ".

To announce her presence before she came into the kitchen and gave me a hug.

" Good afternoon good-looking what are you cooking? ".
She asked as she tried to peer over into the dishes.

Just as she extended her hand to steal a piece of meat. I swatted it away with a cloth. I was always prepared for this little nasty habit of hers.

" Ow!, mama that hurt ".
This little drama queen called out as she doubled over and pretended to lose her footing and lain on the floor with her head tilted and her tongue was lolled out to one side.

I simple shook my head and stooped down beside her and lightly patted her cheek. I knew as a matter of fact that she was far from dead but knowing the drama queen it still didn't hurt to check. I had pretended to play along and pretended to give pump her chest to give her pulmonary resuscitation.
Then with a dramatic sigh and a quite a large in take of air and faux cough she stood up smiling.

" Afternoon Little Bug, why don't you freshen up first and then come eat with me ".
I said to her while pushing her out of the kitchen.

" Wow!, it's always the parents. What an unsubtle way to tell me that I stink mom. I simply can't believe this ".
She screamed out and a loud laughter ringed out afterwards.

As she was heading in the direction to her room. That girl I tell you, she is something else. I swear.