Chapter 24 : When The Clock Struck 12 Midnight

I was informed by the doctors that it was now the second week in August. Apparently the cancer had created a network and spread its root in my body. My head was completely bald, eyes sunken in their sockets and my immune system was rendered defenceless. I was at my last point with a month or so to go before I died.

My entire body felt like an wrecked empty shell of its former self. It was as if the entire operating system for my body had completely collapsed and was not functioning at all. Dr.Vazcían had told me I had woken up from the medically induced coma on the thirty-first of June.

It had become a thing where Rosie, my co-workers and Anna came by regular and visit to keep me in good spirits. They didn't know how much it helped me.
I really appreciate everything that they have done for me especially Rosie for taking care of my Little Bug. I can't even possibly begin to fathom how to repay her for her kindness.

The hospital door was pushed open and a smile immediately graced my face upon seeing that the intruder was my daughter. Her face lit up in a familiar megawatt smile when she had realized that I was awake.

" Hey hot momma. How are you doing? ".
She greeted in a jovial tone me before leaning over and giving me a hug. Then I watched as she perched herself in a chair that she had dragged next to my bed.

" I am good Love. Hey Little Bug, look I don't have much time left - " .
I started in a tone filled with melancholy with my hoarse voice. Soon after I was finish talking, I had started coughing violently.

" Mom please don't talk like - ".
She said to me in a stern manner and tearful eyes but I interrupted her before she could complete her sentence.

" Anna baby...the fact of the matter is I am getting extremely ill as each day pass. I doubt that I even have enough fight left in me to last until September. Look Todito I get that you are staying with Rosie for now but... when I die.

The very moment I die, I know for a matter fact that your father will come. He will come knocking on Rosie's door for you Little Bug. Samiel will either take you by force or willingly. When that time comes I need you to keep me beating...right...here Little Bug ".
I said tearfully in a painful tone to Anna. As I pointed to where her heart is beating. The reality was finally setting in that I didn't have much time left.

" Mom - ".
She started to say in a quiet tone with tears in her eyes.

" No Little Bug, I need you to promise me. That you'll keep me right where your heart is beating... always "
I said in a whisper as the tears finally made their down my cheeks. I had release a next set of nasty coughs with specks of blood.

In response to my dying last wish, Anna had kissed my hand and placed it where her heart is.

" I promise mom ".
She uttered firmly as she gazed at me with tears.

We just sat there in the little hospital room, it was just like old times laughing, playing and reminiscing on life. Rosie had joined sometime later for a couple hours. It was some time after seven in the night when they had finally left.

I had nothing left to do and still contented from Rosie and Anna's visit. I decided to get a good three hours of sleep even though I knew that it would put my sleeping pattern off schedule.
I had woke up feeling quite refreshed and took a glance at the clock on the wall. It was about five minutes after 10 pm. I started to pray and had a talk session with the Lord.

I had felt so revitalized when I was finish and when I glanced at time it was eleven thirty in the night. I can't believe that I had stayed up that long but when I was hit with a sudden wave of fatigue. I had then decided to go back to sleep.
So just imagine my surprise when the lights in my room suddenly flickered on.

Then I saw Samiel Darkstar with his back resting on the door and a devious smile was on his face. My heart monitor started going haywire as he had started approaching me with a fake yawn.

" Well wasn't that a bore to listen to Andrea?. Oh my... poor indefensible Andrea is lying here all alone with no one around to save her. Andrea where is your Little Bug or Rosie?. Please forgive my slight memory loss. I forgot for a second that they are in the comfort and safety of their own home.
It's just you and me now Andrea. You are in the mercy of my hands ".
He said to me darkly and suddenly I felt an increase pressure in my head. It was as if multiple intrusions were forcing themselves to form in my brain.

" Stop it Samiel!. Stop whatever you are doing to me!".
I begged him desperately. As I felt multiple zaps of pain surging throughout my body.

Samiel stalked all the way up to me with his eyes pitch black. His entire body, if you could call it one was covered in blazing flames that didn't even seem to faze him. He took a mocking glance at me and let out a laugh that was so scary and held a malicious tone to it. That was when I knew immediately, that I am most definitely dying today at the hands of the soul reaper. The devil.

" Andrea... haha... poor Andrea. I am that great dragon, the old serpent and Satan, whatever you want to call me. Personally I prefer to be called the old devil but I am Samiel Darkstar cast out to deceive the whole world.

You ran away with my little anti-Christ Andrea and you expect me to just let it go. How dare you Andrea?. Yet you expect me to pardon you, Andrea the evil doer. How foolish you are to even think for one second. That you could ever run away from the ruler that dad left to govern this Earth. Me ".
He said to me in such a vindictive tone.

That was so inhumane as if a legion of demons was trapped in his body. Just as the clock struck twelve midnight. I simple looked to the heavens and said,
" God have mercy upon me. In thy hand I commit my spirit ".

That was the very last sentence that I had uttered out of my mouth. As I took one finally glance at Samiel. I knew my ending that was coming right now would be lonely and violent. I watched as Samiel shook his head and look at me in faux sympathy.

" Oh but he will ".
That was the last parting words I had heard Samiel whispered ever so sweetly to me.

Just before I was set ablaze by Samiel.