Chapter 20: I'm protecting you

Sorry, the number you have dialed is currently not available, please try again later...

It has been my tenth time calling him but it seems that I can't get through. It was either he was really busy or he just didn't want to pick any of my calls.

Mark, where are you?

-
-
-

MARK'S POV

"If you are still on the previous topic, I'm off now", I said to her once I reached.

When I was still thinking through about what JB had said to me in the room initially, WendyW called me up to meet her after not contacting for days. So, I am now standing in front of the Han River, waiting for her to speak up.

"Mark, I'm sorry about what I said the last time about how you have changed. But I need to let you know that I said those words because I care about you."

Just then, my phone started ringing and I was about to pick up when she snatched it away from me.

"No, hear me out first!", she turned it off and tossed it back to me.

"WendyW, wha-"

"Mark, listen here. There's a reason for me to come all the way to Seoul to find you. I remembered the day when you broke up with me, it was right here", she paused and pointed towards the river.

"You told me that you were afraid that you were not able to protect me as you were going to debut soon. You said that you were scared that your fans will not accept us and this whole relationship might hurt us even more. You said that JYPE had this whole dating ban and all, but I'm telling you now. Day and night after our breakup, all I could think of is you. I realized that I can't just remain as normal friends with you. It's just too harsh on me each time I try to act normal in front of you. I don't want us to end just like that. I thought through and just for you, I decided to give it a try to hang in there. Together, we can make this work again."

I was taken aback by her sudden string of confession. Loss for words, I studied her expression carefully to note that she was darn serious about it.

Trying hard to choose the appropriate words in order not to hurt her feelings more, I finally spoke.

"Look WendyW, we are over and there's no possibility that we can get back together again. I know that we once shared happy memories together but that's the past. So, it will be good that we can still continue staying as friends instead."

"Is it because of her? That Wendy?", she shot me a glare.

Irritated by her once again, I ran my fingers through my hair and scorned at her.

"Why do you have to bring her up again?"

"If it's not her, then who else?", she continued to argue as her hands starting pumping on my chest.

"I HATE YOU MARK! I HATE YOU! I know you still love me but give me a reason why we can't be together anymore! Give me a DAMN good reason!", she screamed.

"YES YES YES! I LIKE HER! THAT'S THE REASON! YOU HAPPY NOW? ", I finally erupted.

I don't know why but I just said those words without thinking, as if I really meant it.

WendyW withdrew her hands weakly from me and stepped backwards.

I felt sorry for her but it's the only way to enable her to move on.

"Mark Tuan, I love you", she whispered.

"I know."

"And I will always do", she said again before she grabbed my neck and leaned in for a kiss.