\𝓈𝒾𝓍\

~

~

Eleanora was exhausted. Every step splashed mud up her legs and she reached up to wipe raindrops off of her face. It had been raining for days and Eleanora was starting to feel like she'd never get dry. To keep herself awake, she recounted her day to herself over and over again in her head. She'd woken up in her tent in the woods somewhere in Dorset. For a moment, she'd been confused as to why she was awake because the sky was still dark, but then she heard the branches snapping outside.

The next hour or so was a blur of frantic packing, dueling, and running from dark wizards. She didn't know how they did it, but every time she apparated, they managed to find her again. This time it had been Corban Yaxley and a couple others she didn't recognize. Her mission was to gather information, but that proved to be a bit difficult when Death Eaters were trying to kill her at all times. That was why she'd decided to change the mission. After what Greyback had said about Malfoy Manor, she knew that was where she needed to go. That was where she was headed.

The rain was coming down harder now and Eleanora was losing track of the order of the events of her day. She knew she would have to camp out somewhere soon, but she was dreading setting up a tent in this weather. Part of her wanted to apparate to the nearest town and get a room at an inn, but that seemed to dangerous. None of her options were ideal. She kept walking and her thoughts drifted to home. All she wanted was word from Bill or Fred or George- anyone really. Bill would know what to do right now. If she had only listened to Bill, she wouldn't be in this situation at all. She wanted more than anything to go back home to him. To talk to him or to just be in his arms, but she knew she needed to complete the mission. She couldn't go back to the Order empty handed.

Eleanora stopped short, squinting into the rain and mist. There was a break in the trees up ahead, where it looked like there might be a clearing. Eleanora thought it might be a good place to set up camp, so she surged forward with newfound energy. Maybe she'd be able to sleep better with the knowledge a branch wasn't about to fall and crush her tent. She stumbled through the mud, trying not to slip until she finally reached the edge of the trees. What she saw was so much better than a clearing, she almost broke down crying right there.

It was a house. A little cottage right on the edge of a beach, and Eleanora could see the ocean spreading out as far as she could see. She hadn't been to the sea since her parents had taken her when she was seven. It looked even more beautiful now with fog rolling in from the water and waves crashing on the rocks and sand. Eleanora could've stood there and stared at the ocean for the rest of the night, but at that moment, the door to the cottage swung open and a withered old woman stepped outside. After weeks of being chased by Death Eaters, Eleanora's first impulse was to run, but something held her back. Maybe it was her fatigue and hunger getting the better of her. The cottage looked so warm and welcoming, and the lady didn't seem like much of a threat. Eleanora made a split second decision, knowing she couldn't put up with one more day of walking through the ran.

"Yoo-hoo!" the lady called, waving at Eleanora. Eleanora took a cautious step forward, nearing the light from the cottage. "Hello? Dear?" At this, Eleanora moved more surely to the door. Something about the lady's voice comforted her. She reminded Eleanora a bit of Mrs. Weasley. "Dear, are you alright?"

That was when Eleanora started crying.

~

The first bedroom on the right at Shell Cottage was spacious, comfortable, and best of all, warm. It was where Eleanora spent the entirety of two days at the cottage, catching up on sleep and recovering from her time on the run. Eleanora didn't see much of Marilda Hopkins, the old lady who owned the cottage. She mainly left Eleanora alone, but delivered meals and hot tea up to her bedroom a few times a day. The only times Eleanora left the bed was to eat and take several baths a day. On the morning of her third day at the cottage, Eleanora slid out of bed and stumbled a little, not used to being on her feet. She went to the window first, and was surprised to see that the skies had cleared and the sun was shining. It was the first clear view of the ocean she'd gotten since her arrival. She stared out at the water until she heard footsteps shuffling around downstairs. She turned and tiptoed across her room, slipping through the doorway and creeping down the hallway. She knew she didn't need to be quiet, it was just her and Marilda, but she felt odd in the little house.

When she reached the kitchen, she stood awkwardly in the doorway, unsure of what to do with herself. Marilda was shuffling around, cooking up eggs and sausage for breakfast. When she noticed Eleanora, her face split into a toothy grin. "You're up! Help me with these biscuits, will you?" She gestured to a bowl of dough and a pan. Eleanora stepped forward to help break the dough into pieces and set them on the pan. "How did you sleep?"

"Fine, thank you," Eleanora said, feeling slightly dazed. "Miss- ah- Miss Hopkins?"

"Marilda, please."

"Right- Marilda- um- I'm really sorry, but I'm actually sort of- running from-" she tripped over her words, not sure exactly how to explain her situation.

"Oh, they won't find you here," Marilda said reassuringly. "Protective charms and all that. I'm surprised you were able to find this place!"

"Wait- you're a witch?" Eleanora was thoroughly shocked. She'd been careful to hide her own magical abilities since she'd arrived.

"Of course I'm a witch, dear. Didn't you see my workshop when you got here?"

"Your... workshop?"

"Oh, yes! I sell magical jewelry in a nearby village. It's really quite a lucrative business, you know. These muggles will buy anything if it says it brings good luck. Only thing is, my jewelry actually does."

Eleanora wasn't sure exactly what to say. "That sounds... nice."

"Oh it is! Now really, dear, how exactly did you find this place? Like I said, there are about a million protective charms on it, in fact, it's impossible to locate unless someone was expressly given the address. And I've never given anyone the address."

"Don't you get lonely?"

"Oh no, like I said, I go to the village quite often." Marilda looked at Eleanora expectantly, still waiting to find out how Eleanora found the house. Her expression was pleasant, but Eleanora could sense her apprehension.

"I don't know how I found this place. I was just... walking and then it... appeared."

"Appeared? Hmmm." Marilda didn't seem suspicious, just curious. She looked at Eleanora in wonder. "Appeared..." Her eyes grew wide. "It chose you," she said with a sense of finality.

"Chose me?"

"The house, dear," Marilda's eyes lit up in amazement. "The house chose you. Oh, I always knew it would decide!"

"Decide what?"

"The next owner!"