It's Alright

"ARRRGHHH!"

"Hold him still!" Jerimiah ordered as he began to take the bullet out of Tommy's shoulder.

"Take it Tommy! Take it! Take it! Come on! Come on!" Arthur yells to our brother as he helped hold Tommy down. Jerimiah continued his pursuit for the bullet in Tommys flesh as Tommy groaned and shouted in pain.

I feel sick......

Despite her nausea, Riley took a deep breath, steadied herself and moved towards Tommy to help the rest of the men keep him still enough to retrieve the bullet. She stood next to Arthur, putting her trembling hand on top of Tommy clenched one. Tommy instantly responded to this new touch, snapping his eyes to hers, mouth nailed shut turning his yells into groans.

"It's nearly done brother, nearly done. It's alright Tomcat. You're alright" Riley's voice is hushed compared to the other men's shouts of encouragement but Tommy hears her as perfectly as if she screamed. Eyes locked, both siblings nodded as if to reassure each one another before Jeremiah tugged one last time and the bullet was out.

"There. I still have the knack." Jerimiah admired the bullet whilst Riley let out a sigh of relief.

Thank God that's over.

"Have a drink" Arthur passed Tommy some whisky which he readily gulped as Riley moved away.

"Alright deep breath!" Arthur shouted before he suddenly poured the whisky on the wound. Tommy screamed in pain again.

Spoke too soon.

"That's it! Its done!" Arthur reassured their brother, but Riley raised a brow shooting her eldest brother a look of disbelief.

Like fuck I'd trust your word after that.

With the worst seemingly over, Riley forced herself to sit down, far enough away from the men she didn't catch their next words.

I just killed a man.

Riley sucked in a breath, reminding herself it was him or her brother. Riley knew she should feel guilty, but she didn't. Kimber had tried to kill her brother. No one came for her family like that. He had it coming. She just wished she'd shot him sooner so Tommy wouldn't of been in so much pain. A weight, unexpectedly touched her shoulder bringing her out of her thoughts. Spooked, Riley jumped whipping her head upwards, where she caught the same blue eyes as her own staring intently back at her.

"Hey. It's okay. I just wanted to let you know we're gonna pay our respects to Danny then send his body to his family."

Riley calmed down upon seeing it was just her brother and nodded, suddenly too tired to speak. She didn't even know what to say.

You're a murderer now....

Riley shook the random thought from her head. Tommy seemed to understand her hesitancy to talk.

"You did the right thing Ri. It was him or us. You protected us."

Riley furrowed her brows.

"Bu-But you go-got hurt. And Danny-...I-I should have reacted faster. I-I.."

Tommy quickly shook his head and bent down so he was eye level with her, putting both his hands on her shoulders reassuringly.

"Hey, Hey. Enough of that. You did all you could."

Riley looked away, not convinced.

"Oi look at me."

Tommy softly grabbed her cheek guiding her eyes back to his.

"None of this is your fault. You hear me. You were only there because of my orders to stay with Ada, which you did, protecting her and baby Karl in the end, sweetheart. If it wasn't for you, who knows how many others could have gotten injured or worse."

Tears welled in Riley's eyes as Tommy didn't once break eye contact, showcasing his sincerity.

"I'm so proud of you"

Riley let out a sob and rushed into his awaiting arms, careful not to hurt his shoulder.

"It's alright my girl. It's alright."

Riley really wanted to believe him.

Author's note: Helllloooo! Sorry for not updating in years 😅 just been busy with life yanno how it is. I do plan to finish the book as there's only a few chapters left. Hopefully the next few chapters will be out very soon.

Thank you all for your support over the years and for sticking with this book. Every time people comment, it warms my heart to know so many are enjoying the book.

Sorry for such a short chapter. I just wanted to get the ball rolling.