A Good Heart

Riley needed a drink. She had been rushed off her feet all day helping at the betting den, dealing with rude customers who, on more than one occasion, she had told to fuck off. Riley pushed the pubs doors open only to see Arthur behind the bar instead of Harry.
"Riley, sweetheart!" Arthur bellowed in joy as she entered. "What you doing back there?" She grinned as she saw the pure happiness radiating from him. It was far and few between that she saw Arthur this happy since the war. He often got what they called the Flanders blues where he became either very sad or very angry. So much so that Tommy wouldn't let her see him in fear of it upsetting her.
"Why don't you ask Tommy here. It's his present to me." Arthur grinned at their brother who sat on a stool drinking whiskey. "Arthur owns the pub now. You're talking to the new prupriater of the Garrison." Tommy said. Riley eyes widen as she grinned at Arthur. "Congratulations."
"Thanks, love"
Riley sat down next to Tommy.
"Try not to drink all the profits."
"Hey! Just for that no drinks for you!"
Riley rolled her eyes. "This isn't the only pub in small heath you know." She smirked.  Tommy shook his head in amusement at his siblings. "Yeah but none of the others would serve ya if they know what's good for em." Arthur said. Ha! If only he knew the amount she's drunk in other pubs.
"So when do I get my present Tommy?"
"When you stop coming home at the crack of dawn." Tommy smirked as he finished his drink.
"Bit of an exaggeration there but fair enough" she laughed.
"So your friend came looking for you." Tommy said as he looked at Riley.
"Who?"
"Blonde girl, Irish. Think she said her name was Jenny."
"Oh yeah I remember her. The pretty girl holding your hand at the bonfire." Arthur inputs.
Riley sits straighter. "What did she want?"
Tommy studied Riley's reaction.
"Just said to tell you she had a great time the other day and that she hoped you could do it again."
"Oh ok"
Shit why'd she have to speak to Tommy, Riley thought internally panicking. Arthur poured Tommy another glass. "Get one for Riley too." Tommy said to a surprised Arthur."You sure Tom?"
Riley was surprised too as he didn't always let her drink.
"Yeah she deserves it. Heard it was busy today at the betting den." Arthur nodded his head and poured her a glass which she cautiously drank. Tommy lit himself a cigarette. "So this Jenny girl, you close with her?" Riley furrowed her brows at his bizarre question.
"I guess?" Riley looked at Arthur hoping he would know what Tommy was trying to do but he looked as lost as she did as all he offered her was a shrug of the shoulders. "Hmm...you guess?"
"Why's it important?"
"Yeah Tommy." Arthur said.
"Just curious is all. She seems to really like you."
Riley blushed. "Yeah well why wouldn't she? I'm great." Riley joked hoping to release the tension. It worked as Arthur laughed and Tommy half smiled. "Just be careful Riley ok? Don't want to see you getting hurt." Tommy said as he made eye contact with her. She could see he really was just concerned. But why he was concerned she didn't know.
"Yeah sure Tom."

That evening Riley sent Jenny a message to meet her the next day at 4pm in the yard. Riley needed to have a conversation with her about talking to her brother's. Especially after that weird conversation she had with Tommy. Speaking of Tommy, Riley could hear voices coming from outside her bedroom door. It strangely enough sounded like Danny Whizzbang and Tommy. Riley glanced at her clock to see it was nearing 2am. What the hell?
Riley approached Tommy's room where she could hear the two voices. "Tommy?" Riley whispered as she pulled his door open. Danny and Tommy turned to the squinting girl whose eyes struggled to adjust to the light. "What's going on?" Riley asked as she made eye contact with Danny. So she had heard him, she thought. "Sorry to wake you, Riley." Danny apologised. Riley's curious eyes fluttered to Tommy who was watching the encounter.
"You okay Tom-cat?"
Riley knew how bad his nightmares could get from past experience. She once had tried to wake him up from one only for him to attack her, nearly choking her to death. Tommy had been mortified when he had realised and a few tears were in his eyes as he profusely apologised. Let's just say Riley stayed well clear after that. "Everythings fine Ri. Go back to bed." Riley nodded as she sent Danny a warm smile before she headed back to her bed.
"She a good one your Riley is." Danny said to Tommy once Riley had left.
"How'd you figure that?" Tommy questioned. "She helped me come to me senses after I killed that Italian. Reminded me I had a family at home waiting for me and told me she'd sort out the italians. She's got a good heart"
Tommy half smiled as he heard Danny's response. "Yeah she has. Don't know where she gets it from." She definitely didn't get it from me, Tommy thought bittersweetly.