Black Star Day

Don’t move.

“You've improved very well miss Shelby.”

Don’t speak.

“It would appear our extra-curricular teaching has helped.”

Don’t breathe.

"However, don't think this lets you off the hook. There's still more I have to teach you."

The chair creaked as his stood.

Don’t blink.

Sweaty hands touched her face. She involuntarily flinched as her head was titled upwards. A sadistic smirk etched his aging face.

"Why don't we have a lesson now.”

No. No. No. No. No.

It became harder to breathe.

"Bend over the table."

His grip became tighter.

"Now Darling."

She could hear the underlying promise of violence in his tone if she didn’t do as he said. Like a machine, moving on autopilot, she shakily lent over his desk.

I can’t breathe.

She heard him undo his belt.

STOP! NO! STOP!

 "Good girl." he whispered.

"No!"

Riley jolted awake, a layer of sweat coating her pale skin.
"Fuck..." She croaked as she sat up, taking deep breathes as she tried to calm her rapid heartbeat. Riley really fucking hated sleeping. Looking at the clock she saw it was 8am. Great, may as well get up, she thought, knowing there was no way she was going to get back to sleep now. Getting ready for the day, she tried to bury the dream deep in her mind like all her other problems.

Riley frowned when she saw Tommy sat at the kitchen table smoking. This day just keeps getting better and better.
"Oh good you’re still alive."
Tommy resisted the urge to roll his eyes.
"Don't sound so disappointed."
Riley didn’t resist. Pouring herself a cup of tea she leant against the sink, observing the faint smile gracing her usually stoic brother.
"Stop that."
"Stop what?" Tommy replied puzzled.
"Doing that thing with your mouth. It's making me nauseous"
"You mean smile?"
"Oh that's what that is. Haven't seen one on your face in a while. It's strange."
Tommy’s smile widened at her mocking. However, Riley’s face remained blank as she felt herself become angry. She guessed he had slept with Grace last night all the while she had to deal with a suicidal Arthur and a raided house with Finn.
"Have a good night then?"
Not wanting to give him the choice of a reply Riley continued.
"Well I didn't. Wanna know why?" she raised her voice when he remained silent at her obvious growing wrath.
"First I find Arthur hanging by a rope. Thank god it snapped but what if it hadn't eh?! Then I come home to find the house fucked coz the police came looking for YOU. And, where were you? Fucking some Irish bitch!"

“That’s enough!” Tommy yelled as he stood, his eyes narrowed in rage.

“NO! Where the fuck were you?! I had to deal with that all on my own!”
Tears of anger and frustration threatened to escape her eyes, shocking both Tommy and herself. Unlike Ada, Riley rarely ever cried, hating being seen as emotional. The last time she had shed a tear was when the boys returned from France and that had been tears of joy. Seeing how upset his sister was Tommy paused. All the drama of the last few weeks felt like it was suddenly crashing down on her. And unfortunately for Tommy he was the nearest person she could release it onto. Tommy sighed as he neared his troubled sister cautiously, scared that she may run from the vulnerable look in her eyes.
“I’m sorry Riley. You shouldn’t have had to deal with that all on your own.”
Hearing the sincerity in his voice Riley tried to calm down, allowing for him to step closer to her tense figure.
“Pol told me bout Arthur and Ive already seen him and sorted it. After today everything is going to get better for us. All of us.”
Furrowing her brows Riley cleared the lump in her throat.
“What’s happening today?”
“Come to the family meeting at 10:30 and find out yourself.”
Shock was clear on her face at his words.
“I can come?!”
Tom smirked at her flabbergasted expression, glad that she had managed to calm down.
"Unless you don't want to?"
"No!  I'll be there." She quickly replied.
"Good. It's important."
Tommy kissed her forehead as Riley’s mind ran wild with possibilities as to why he would want her there.
"I mean it Ri. I'm sorry you had to go through all that."
Riley nodded her head as he left to inform the rest of the family the news.
"Yeah well I've been through worse."

Riley could barely contain her excitement as she stood in the betting den, waiting for the family meeting to begin. Even Finn was allowed to attend, currently wrapped under her arm, meaning Tommy's announcement must be big. Riley was glad to see Arthur had made it, albeit with bruises around his neck. But he appeared to be in good spirits, giving her a hug and a kiss when she'd arrived.
“I still don’t understand why Finn and Riley are here.” Aunt Pol complained.
Arthur huffed at his irked Aunt.
“Because Tommy said so.”
Pol rolled her eyes. Wow my habit is really rubbing off on people, Riley thought amused. Before her aunt could bite back the man causing the controversy strode in. With the family all now gathered, Tommy began his speech.
"Right, I've brought you all here today because today is the day we replace Billy Kimber."
Not wanting to come across as immature, Riley kept her face neutral, whilst on the inside her eyes were comically wide.
"This is the day we become respectable. The day we join the official national association racecourse bookmakers. But first, we do the dirty work. Now you've all known this day’s been coming. I just haven't told anyone the date. We're going to the Worcester races. Track opens at 1 we get there at 2. Kimber thinks we're there to help him fight the Lee brother's but thanks to the efforts of our John and his lovely wife, Esme. The lees are now our kin. I interrupted those efforts this morning. And I assure you all, John is making great sacrifices in the course of peace."
Everyone chuckled while Riley pretended to gag making Finn giggle.
"Yeah, alright." John grumbles, embarrassed.
"So it's us and the Lee's against Kimbers’ boys. Take em’ out and leave the bookies. I expect a swift victory that will send a signal to London that we believe in letting legitimate businesses run peacefully."
"What about Kimber himself?" John asked.
"I'll deal with Kimber. Any questions?"
Riley had many but decided to keep them to herself.
"Yes. Does anyone object if I bring a new-comer to the meeting?" Aunt Pol asked as she moved to the closed door.
"I'd like to introduce the newest member of the Shelby clan." She announced as Ada walked inside holding her baby boy. Riley grinned as everyone erupted into clapping. This was the first time she was seeing her nephew.
"Welcome home, Ada" Tommy greeted smiling for the second time that day.
"We named him Karl. After Karl Marx."
"Karl bloody Marx." Arthur chuckled.
"Let me get a look at him." Arthur chirped, grabbing a hold of baby Karl.
"Oh here we go." John joked.
"Hey, look. He looks just like me.”
"God help him." Riley playfully grimaces. Ada smiled at her, enjoying seeing her sibling after all this time.
"That's his arse that looks just like you Arthur." John joins.
"He's alright. He's a Shelby." Arthur said ignoring his two sibling’s jibes.
Ada approached a smiling Tommy.
"Well Ada am I forgiven?" Tommy asked.
"If what Aunt Polly says is true, you are."
"It's true."
Ada smiles hugging him.
"Thank you Tommy."
Riley smiled as the bond between her siblings slowly appeared to be mending. Meeting eyes identical to her own, Tommy winked at her from behind Ada's back. 
Let hope it's stays that way.