Family Meeting Eavesdropping

After receiving a walloping off her Aunt Pol and a lecture on the dangers of fighting on her own, Riley finally found herself in her room trying to do the ridiculously hard equations her teacher had sent her home with. Riley knew he specifically set her harder questions than her classmates because he hated her family. He was a communist like Freddie Thorne, Tommy's ex best-friend and Ada's current secret lover. He disagreed with everything the Peaky Blinders stood for but had no spine to say anything directly to her family about it, so instead focused his anger unfairly onto Riley. Just another perk of being a Shelby she thought bitterly. Giving up on the homework Riley stood, going downstairs to see if Tommy would help her after the family meeting. The family meeting which, according to Aunt Pol and Tommy, Riley was too young to participate in. No matter the arguments she made in favour of her joining, such as "I could help, I'm smarter than John and Arthur combined" or the classic "it's not fair!", they both always shot her down. Didn't mean she didn't eavesdrop though with Finn, meaning she had an vague idea of what went on in the business.

Riley had just got to the closed doors of the kitchen when she saw Finn was eavesdropping whilst smoking a cigarette. The idiot, he knows he's not allowed to smoke she thought. Coming up to the other side of the door Riley smirked at her little brother "Tommy's gonna kill you when he's see you smoking you know."
Rolling his eyes which he'd learnt to do perfectly from observing his older sister he said "Only if I get caught." Riley ignored his protests as she swiped the cigarette and took a smoke herself. She aswell as Finn weren't permitted to smoke but they rarely listened to what their brothers told them. Riley pressed her ear to the door, joining him in eavesdropping.  She listened intently, overhearing the rumble of Arthur's voice from the other side. Something about an Inspector and Tommy saying they'll have to be more careful. Ha! Like Arthur knew how to be careful she thought.
Suddenly the door opened causing both Finn and Riley to step back in surprise. Looking up into the eyes of her older brother and family, she put on a mask of innocence.
"Oh didn't realise you lot were in there." Amused Tommy raised a brow "Oh really? So you two devils weren't listening in on the family meeting?"
Still feigning innocence Riley shook her head "No but if I had known you all were here I would of joined ya." Aunt Pol chuckled at her nieces response. Having enough Arthur stormed past everyone leaving the house with an angry bang. "What crawled up his arse?" She asked sarcastically. Moving past her and into the sitting room Tommy sat down with a sigh "Watch your language and nothing that concerns you."
Following him Riley crossed her arms in frustration "You know you might actually be surprised to find that I'm almost an adult. Which means you might want to start letting me in more on the business if you want me to learn how to run it one day" Riley smirked. She was always joking about how when one of his many enemies shot him dead she would take over for him. Tommy would always reply with a sarcastic "Wouldn't you enjoy that." To which Riley would say "Very much."
Which is why he surprised her when he instead said "Maybe you're right"
Shocked Riley's arms dropped to her sides. "wait are you serious?"
"You'll need to learn one day and your right, you are getting older. But don't be expecting much your still only 14. Got a long way ahead of ya." Smiling the biggest grin she'd had in years Riley squealed thank you. Adopting a small smile of his own Tommy noticed the paper she had in her hand. "What you got there?"
Remembering why she came down in the first place Riley showed Tommy the paper. "I was wondering if you could help me with these equations. I tried to do it on my own but can't figure them out. My dickhead teacher expects it done for tomorrow." Knowing he was the only one in the family smart enough to help her, he shot her a look about her language and patted the seat next to him "Sure thing idiot" he teased her. Narrowing her eyes Riley sat down next to him mumbling to herself.
"I'm not an idiot. My brothers are idiots." Smirking he clipped her ear "Do you want my help or not?" Sighing she nodded. So for the next hour Tommy helped her with her homework whilst drinking a bottle of whiskey. Too busy writing the finishing numbers to the answer, Riley failed to notice that Tommy had fallen asleep on the couch next to her. Riley heard a snore so she looked to her left noticing Tommy. Smiling softly as she knew no one was around to see, Riley stood grabbing a blanket and placing it on him. She knew he didn't get much sleep anymore, not since after the war, so she kissed his cheek muttering a good night and left.

The next day at school her teacher was unpleasantly surprised to find she'd gotten all of her questions right. Riley took silent enjoyment in his disappointment of being unable to give her detention or a slap on the knuckles. She also was pleased to find neither James or Jimmy had showed up at school that day. Mostly likely still recovering she thought pleased. Unfortunately for her though Jenny had shown up and was currently annoying the Shelby at lunch.
"I told my mam how you saved me. She said to tell you she was grateful and invited you round for tea."
Riley nodded her head hoping if she said she'd think about it she would be left alone."I'll have to ask me brothers or Aunt Pol."
Jenny smiled shyly, "We should meet up over the holidays if you want. Shouldn't be hard, we only live the next street over from one another." Knowing she had no intention of doing either of the things Jenny had suggested Riley replied evenly "Sure why not..."
Noticing the odd looks students were throwing at her Jenny asked "Why is everyone looking at us like we just shot their dog." Finding her example mildly amusing she smirked "Most likely because one of me family has."
Pulling a confused face which schockingly Riley found endearing, Jenny asked "What do you mean?" She really was clueless Riley thought. Must be nice. Riley's face turned serious, as all traces of amusement left her. With her Shelby ice blue eyes she said "I'm a Shelby. A peaky blinder. Dangerous. No one wants to associate themselves with someone like me so they stay away." Not turning to see her reaction Riley stared straight ahead, face blank. She felt a hand touch hers suddenly, causing her to glare at Jenny.
"That must be incrediblely lonely."
Once again surprised by Jenny's unprecedented reaction Riley was left speechless. That was until she realised everyone was still staring at them. Swiftly she jerked her hand away from Jenny's and walked away muttering "I'm used to it."