I Promise

Riley was convinced Arthur was dropped on the head as a child because he mustn't have any brain cells to have believed their bastard of a father. Aunt Pol had just informed her that he had taken money from the business to give to him, expecting them to build a casino together or some bullshit like that. Riley wasn't to bothered about the specifics, just that he had ran off with the money. Apparently, Arthur had yet to tell Tommy which she knew wouldn't be the nicest of conversations. She also knew that Arthur was most likely beating himself up about what had happened, which she understood as it was his own stupid fault. However, Riley also understood why he did what he did.

Arthur had always been the most upset about their father leaving. Him being the eldest he remembered their father the most. Although conviently he seemed to only like to remember the few times he was half decent rather than the truth. He's always cared too much what their father thought, making him blind, all for it to come crashing down when his rose coloured memories faded into the black and white reality that was their father. If you could even call him that. More like drunkard who stumbled home most evenings if he wasn't at the whore house. What their mother ever saw in him will always baffle her. In view of this, Riley felt sorry for him, causing her to look around town for her all too trusting brother. She'd already checked the Garrison and betting den, which only left the boxing ring. Walking the dark cold streets Riley found her mind once again this week drifitng towards Jenny. It had only been a few days since their passionate but bittersweet kiss. Embarrassed and upset Riley had made no effort in locating the beautiful blonde in fear of them having to address the elephant in the room. In truth Riley was scared about admitting to herself, let alone Jenny, her feelings for the girl. She was scared of losing the only friend she ever had.

Nearing the entrance to the boxing ring riley ignored her current state of mind in favour of finding Arthur. She pushed the door open and preceded to walk towards the light round the corner of the building.
"Arthur?" Riley called out into the barely lit room. Goosebumps graced her shivering skin when no reply was given. Something feels off she thought as she walked forward. Her step quickened when she heard a strange gurling sound. Sounds like someones choking. And someone was. As Riley turned the corner the candle light revealed her oldest brother.
Hanging.

"ARTHUR!"

SNAP!

The rope broke as she rushed towards him. She knelt next to his deflated, gasping form and grabbed his face turning him to look at her.
"Arthur! Breathe! Breathe! You're alright..." She exclaimed as she listened to him painfully gulp in much needed air. His face was a purple, red with veins protruding on his kneck and face. Arthur slowly lifted his hand onto her cheek wiping away tears she didn't even realise were falling. "Ri.." he coughed.
"Shhhh it's okay, it's okay. I've got you. You're ok." She whispered. He collapsed in her lap wrapping his long arms around her waist, muffling his cries. "I've got you." She whispered. She didn't even want to think about what could have happened if the rope didn't break.
"I'm sorry. I'm sorry Riley." Arthur's croaky voice repeated. Riley was in shock. She couldn't believe he'd just tried to kill himself. "Why Arthur? Why'd you do that?"
Calming down slightly he lifted his head although refused to make eye contact with the upset girl. "I couldn't take it anyone. I'm just a fuck up. Weak."
"That's not true."
When he didn't reply or look at her Riley continued.
"It's not. Sure you fell for that bastards lies but your heart was in the right place. You care. That's one of the things I love about you most."
"I love you Arthur. This family loves you. And I know we don't say it enough but we need you. So never do this again. Because there's so many people who care about you. "
When Arthur refused to make eye contact she forced his face in her direction.
"Promise me Arthur."
Hesitantly he nodded his head.
"I promise."

Jesus fucking Christ. Riley couldn't believe that had just happened. After her heart to heart with Arthur she took him home to his house. She made sure to call Aunt Pol telling her what had happened and that she needed to have a proper talk with him tomorrow. Once Arthur had drunk himself to sleep she made her way home. Currently on her way she noticed Finn running towards her. "Finn? Ya alright?"
"Riley! Tommy's been done over. They found the guns. The police are looking for him! They've wrecked the house!"
Couldn't she just get one night of peace.
"Where's Tommy?"
"Dunno said he's gonna be gone for a while and that I needed to find you."
Riley had her suspions about where he was and specifically who with. "Come on then lets go home." She sighed emotionally and physically done with this nightmare of a day.

Once home they both cleaned the house up as best they could. Luckily it wasn't too much of a shit storm. Riley poked her head into Finn's room to make sure he was in bed. Thankfully he was as Riley wasn't up for an argument.
"Riley can you read me a story?"
Rileys face must have given away her discomfort at the idea as the boy began to beg. "Please.Pleasee, Pleassseeee Riley!"
She rolled her eyes.
"Fine!"
"Yes!" The young boy giggled as his sister sat down on his bed.
"Once upon a time they're was a girl. She gave no fucks. Not even one. And she lived happily ever after. The end."
"Rileeyyy! That was shit."
Exaggerating her voice Riley pretended to be offended.
"It was not! I'll have you know that was some of my best work."
Finn rolled his eyes.
"Oi you that's my thing."
Giggling he did it again.
"Why you little..!"
Jumping on the bed Riley preceded to tickle the now shrieking boy.
"Hahaha stop! Stop!"
"Only if you admit that I'm the best story teller"
"Bu-but y-you-ur not!"
Riley knew from his screaming laughter she would win. "Ok! Your- t-the best stor-y tell-er!"
She grinned as she sat back from her attack. Calming down Riley made sure to imprint this moment in her head. Finn's infectious laughter and gigantic smile. Such childish innocence which had been taken from her. How nice it must be.
"Riley?" Finn's cautious tone made her focus. "Yeah?"
"How come dad doesn't want us?"
Bloody hell her brothers knew how to kill the mood.
"What's brought this on?" She asked shocked.
He shrugged his shoulders not willing to share more.
"Well...to be honest with you I don't know. But what I do know is that we don't need him. Coz we've got the rest of the family, right?"
Finn seemed to be processing his sister's words. Even though Riley was two years older than him he'd always felt like she was much older. Like there was this kind of maturity she would express but only when the time called for it.
"Yeah you're right."
"Of course I am. I'm always right." She joked.
Grinning up at her Finn yawned.
"Night Riley. love ya."
Riley smiled.
"Love you too. Now sleep."
God I'm beginning to sound like Aunt Pol.