Horse Riding

(Jenny at the top)

Riley loved horses. She loved that they were cautious of strangers like herself. That they listened and never judged. That they were calm but could also put up a good fight when threatened. When she was a little girl Tommy used to bring her to their uncle Charlie's yard all the time. He would let her pet and feed them. And when she was old enough ride them with his supervision of course. But then the war happened and Riley had to learn to ride on her own. She used to dream of being a jockey and riding Greymist to victory at the races. When she told Tommy this he had smiled and told her that she could be anything she wanted to be but she had to finish school first. "Be the first Shelby" he had always said. Riley got why he was so adamant about it. No one in there family had ever fully completed school let alone showed up for half of it. They also weren't as bright as Riley, although, Tommy most likely would of done well if their Dad hadn't left, leaving Tommy to become the man of the house. Arthur, as the oldest, tried but he just didn't have the brains or the attention span to be a gang leader, brother and father figure. Riley knew Tommy gave up a lot for their family and did everything in what he thought was their best interest. Didn't mean Riley wouldn't disagree with him though about what her 'best interests' were. Aunt Pol said it was because they were both dominant people. Riley said it was because Tommy was an arse.

She missed riding with someone and so had decided that she was going to teach Jenny to ride a horse. She turned up at Jenny's house and told her they were going to the yard. Jenny had been all to eager to spend time with her best friend. Riley made sure not to mention the horse riding aspect though of their visit, as she didn't want Jenny to back out. The two opposite girls approached Greymist who was very happy to see them both.
"Hey girl. Ready to go out?" Riley said as she started to put Greymists saddle on.
"Go out?" Jenny questioned, confused. Riley smirked as she looked to Jenny. "Yeah. Thought we could ride her out to the country side. She's been couped up long enough."
Riley chuckled as Jenny's face paled.
"Ride as in... You and me? On her back?" Jenny anxiously asked. Riley nodded her head and walked Greymist out of her Penn, all saddled up.
"Yep."
Jenny followed slowly.
"I don't know. What if I fall?"
Riley offered her an amused look.
"You won't. Come on it'll be fun."
Jenny sighed as she reluctantly agreed. She could see it was something Riley really wanted to do. "Fine but I swear to God if you let me fall I will kill ya."
Riley chuckled at the Irish girl's overdramatics.
"Come on, give me your foot I'll give you a boost."
Riley said as she bent down next to the calm horse, clasping her hands together for Jenny to step on. Jenny huffed as she stepped on Riley's hands and swung her legs on the saddle. Luckily, Greymist remained still and calm. Riley jumped on in front of her, letting Jenny wrap her arms around her waist.
"Hold on tight."
Riley smirked before yanking the reins which caused Greymist to gallop forward. "Riley!" Jenny shrieked, terrified at the speed they were going as she gripped Riley's waist for dear life. Riley just chuckled in response.

It took 20 minutes for them to leave the main part of Birmingham and enter the green countryside. They trotted at a relatively acceptable pace after Jenny had all but deafened Riley ears yelling at her to slow down. Riley could feel Jenny's warm front pressed against her back and her soft breath near her ear. She found that she enjoyed having the irish girl so close to her. Jenny smiled as she hugged Riley closer.
"You were right. This is fun."
Riley glanced back at the blonde.
"You ain't seen nothing yet."
Riley smirked and quickly unlocked Jenny's arms from around her waist. She jumped down from Greymist and look up at a shocked Jenny.
"What are you doing?" Jenny shrieked. Riley grabbed Greymists reins as she looked up.
"Teaching you how to ride a horse." She bluntly stated like it was obvious.
"What!?"
"Calm down. It's perfectly safe. I'll be here the hold time."
Jenny looked at the reassuring smile her friend was giving her.
"Are you sure?"
Riley's face suddenly became serious as she looked Jenny in the eyes.
"Do you trust me?"
Jenny answered immediately and without hesitation. "Of course."
Riley smiled again. "Well then you have nothing to worry about." Which was partly true. Riley spent the next hour teaching Jenny the basics of horse riding until she felt comfortable enough for Riley to let go of the reins. What the girls weren't expecting was a mouse to spook the horse which caused it to buck.
"Riley!" Jenny screamed. Riley quickly went to catch Jenny as she fell. "Argh!" Riley groaned as she cushioned Jenny's fall. Jenny moaned as she lifted herself from Riley's body. Riley made eye contact with the beautiful blonde girl whose green eyes seemed to be locked on her blue. Blonde hair framed Jenny's face like a curtain that blocked the outside world, creating their own little bubble. Riley's breath hitched as Jenny's eyes fluttered to her red lips. Suddenly, Greymist nudged the girl's heads wanting attention. The girl's burst into hysterical laughter. Jenny layed herself down next to the laughing Shelby as she smiled.
"So much for it being 'perfectly safe'" Jenny quoted Riley. Said girl rolled her eyes as she looked at the clear blue sky, smiling. "Shut it you."
Both girls giggled. They spent the rest of the day laying in the sun. They chatted or should Riley say, Jenny chatted as Riley listened. But they also just layed in comfortable silence. That was when Riley knew she had found something really special. When you can just shut the fuck up for a minute and comfortably share silence. It's strange, Riley thought as she layed in the field with a horse and an Irish lass, a lot of the time you don't register the important moments in your life as they happen, you only see that they were important when you look back. Like, that was an ending.