Truth

Riley could smell his strong scent of sweat. Feel his rough, harsh hands bruise her body. Hear him murmer a prayer. However, she couldn't see him. It was like she blocked her mind from showing his face as she knew it would wreck her if she did. What she could see was an Bible on a desk and blood on the floor.
"You're a demon, you hear me? You wanted this and so you're going to get what you deserve!" He whispered in her ear before pain hit her.

Riley suddenly gasped awake, tears caught in her eyes and sweat dripping down her body. She felt her heart racing as she sat up in her bed. "It was just a nightmare." she whispered, as she tried to reassure herself that he wasn't there, hurting her. Riley hated to sleep. She hated that it rendered her so vulnerable. She hated that when she slept her mind was a bitch that seemed to enjoy reminding her of all the things she wished were kept buried. Things that would destroy even the most sane of a person.

Riley looked at her clock to see it was noon. She wasn't surprised that she slept in as after the bonfire, her and Jenny stayed out late talking. She decided to get up and have breakfast hoping to forget that the nightmare ever happened. As she walked down the stairs Ada came out of her bedroom and joined her. Ada smiled at her younger sister. "Morning Riley. Sleep well?"
Riley tried to smile but it came out more of a grimace. "Can't complain."
They both entered the kitchen to be greeted by Aunt Pol who was surprisingly reading the paper.
"Good of you two to join us. Where have you been all day?"
Riley rolled her eyes as her Aunt knew exactly where she'd been. She grabbed a slice of toast and sat down.
"In bed. I couldn't sleep. Then I couldn't wake up. Then I was cold and then I had to go for a wee. Then I was with this bear on a boat, but that was a dream. Then I was hungry." Ada informed Aunt Pol as she began cutting her own slice of bread before sitting next to her.
"Why are you reading the paper?"
"Why wouldn't I be?"
"I've never seen you read the paper." Ada replied. Riley nodded at her sisters words. "I've only ever seen you light fires with them." Riley smirked amused. However, her Aunt Pol was not.
"The BSA are on strike. The miners are on strike. IRA are killing our boys ten a day."
Ada stuffed her mouth with a slice of jam covered bread. Riley watched as her Aunt Pol gave her an inquisitive look.
"What?" Ada asked.
"Stand up." Aunt Pol demanded making Riley raise a brow.
"Why?"
"Just stand up."
Ada rolled her eyes as she stood up.
"Side on."
Riley's eyes widened in shock as she realised what her Aunt was doing.
"Oh shit." Riley blurted. Ada gave her a confused look "What?"
Before Riley could say anything else Aunt Pol grabbed Ada's breast.
"Oi! What are you doing?" Ada shouted in surprise as she stepped back.
"Ada how late are you?" Aunt Pol demanded. Riley watched with dread as the penny dropped for her older sister.
"One week. Five weeks. Seven if you count weekends. I think it's a lack of iron. I got some tablets." Ada said quietly.
"But they didn't work?"
Ada met Riley and their Aunt's eyes quickly before she whispered.
"No."
"Oh shit."

Later in the day Riley found out that Ada had decided to keep it after going to see a woman with Aunt Pol to see if she really was pregnant. Ada had suggested to her that they go see a film to try and get their minds off it and the inevitability that was Tommy when he found out. Riley knew he would be even angrier when he found out Freddie Thorne, his best friend from school, was the father. Riley had found out about them through seeing them kissing in an alley. Ada had begged her not to tell anyone. She had agreed as she could see how desperate she was but she warned her the dangers of sleeping with the communist. And look where she was now. Riley grabbed a handful of popcorn just as the doors to the cinema banged open. She and Ada swiftly turned their heads to see Tommy storming towards them. Riley's mouth went dry in preparation for his anger. She cursed as Tommy sat next to her as she was in the aisle seat meaning  Riley was caught in the middle of Ada and Tommy.
"Tell me the man's name Ada." Tommy calmly demanded which made Riley wince as she knew inside he was ready to erupt any second.
"Rudolph Valentino" Ada replied. Riley smirked amused at her sisters quick remark. Tommy sent Riley a scorching glare when he noticed her smirk before he stood and marched out of the doors. The film abruptly shut off as Tommy came back in demanding everyone leave. Riley stood not wanting to be involved.
"Not you Riley." Tommy stated. Guess I'm not escaping, Riley thought as she sat back down dejected.
"I said tell me his fucking name." Tommy demanded with a stern tone. Ada looked hesitant before she shouted. "Freddie fucking Thorne! Yeah. Your best mate since school! The man who saved your life in France! So go on! Go on, cut him! Cut him up and chuck him in the cut!"

Before Riley could conprehend what happened, Tommy grabbed her arm and marched out the cinema, down the street. Riley was confused why he seemed angry at her when it was Ada who had gotten pregnant. She felt him grip the bruises the police had inflicted upon her arm, causing her face to screw up in pain. "Tommy! Let me go!" She shouted as she tried to pull her arm away from him. He ignored her and instead gripped her arm harder. Riley winced and became enraged that he seemed to think he could just drag her around like a rag doll.
"Tommy You're hurting me!" She screamed. Tommy's eyes widened as he suddenly let her go coming to a stop. Riley could hear his laboured breath as he tried to control his anger. "Fuck!" Tommy shouted as he rubbed his eyes with his hand. Riley glared at him as she cradled her arm. "Why the fuck are you mad at me when she was the one who fucked your best friend!" She angrily shouted at him. Tommy glared at the way she spoke to him. "Oi! Watch yourself Riley."
Riley rolled her eyes. "You're the one that grabbed my arm right where those coppers bruised me!"
For a second Riley saw guilt flash through his eyes before they became angry again. "You knew didn't you."
"It wasn't my place to tell." She blankly stated. Tommy shook his head at her reply exaperated.
"I know that people are entitled to some secrecy but I thought you were someone I could trust to tell me the truth Riley."
Riley became even more angry as he tried to guilt trip her.
"Don't you dare Tommy. Don't you dare try and put this on me. And don't act like you're not keeping the truth from me too!" 
"What's that supposed to mean?"
"I don't know maybe the fact that the inspector seems to think you have something to do with those missing guns!" Tommy face became blank at her response.
"You don't need to know about that because it's safer for you that way"
Riley scoffed. "Safe? Safe?! I'm a bloody Shelby! I'm never fucking safe Tommy!"
Tommy sighed as he knew she had a point. "Enough. You should be at the betting den doing your job as financer instead of fuckin about watching films." He turned and continued down the street. God he's infuriating, Riley thought as she begrudgingly followed.