Uncle Charlie's Yard

It was currently 5 o'clock in the evening, Riley had spent most of the day in the betting shop sorting out the businesses finances. It took ten times longer than it should have because Arthur had messed up the books. Riley didn't know why Tommy even let him near them, he barely knew basic addition. Rolling her eyes as she thought back to her struggle with getting Arthur to stop touching the books, Riley wandered the smog filled streets of Small Heath. She could smell the coal from the factories, hear the bang of metal and laughter of children. It brought a slight smile to her face. This is Home she thought warmly. That smile was quickly washed away though as she heard.
"Hey Riley!"
Jenny appeared from behind her grinning. She didn't seem to ever not be smiling, wonder what's always got her so happy, she thought. Maybe she can give me some tips, Riley snorted in her head. She didn't return her friendly smile but this didn't seem to discourage the bubbly girl.
"Where you off to?"
"My uncle Charlie's yard."
Jenny's eyes seemed to sparkle as she heard Riley. "Can I come? Please! I love animals!"
Sighing, Riley found she didn't have the heart to tell the girl to get lost so she reluctantly nodded her head, earning an even bigger grin if possible. As they continued to head to the yard, Jenny began to talk the young Shelby girl's ear off. Jesus this girl could talk Riley thought slightly amused that for the last five minutes she hadn't said a word and yet Jenny had non stop talked.

Finally, they reached the yard which made Riley grow excited as she could finally go see Greymist who was her favourite. Seeing her uncle Riley greeted him.
"Hey Charlie." She nodded her head to him. Wiping his hands on a rag Charlie smiled at his niece. "Ye alright lass. Who ye friend?"
Riley scowled hearing the word 'friend'. Jenny stepped forward as she beamed at the man. "Hello sir, I'm Jenny. Nice to meet you."
The man silently chuckled as he could tell this lass was the complete opposite of his niece and he that his niece was becoming impatient. "Nice to meet ye too lassie. Greymist has been restless today, think she's misssed ye Riley."
Hearing her horses name Riley's face softened. She nodded at her uncles words and headed towards Greymist's pen.
Greymist began to neigh as she caught sight of Riley. Riley quickly approached her restless friend, stroking her nose "Shh, shh girl. It's okay. It's okay. I've missed you too."
Jenny watched with awe as the seemingly emotionless girl in front of her melted at the touch of the horse. "Wow you're really good with her."
Riley was snapped back to reality as she heard Jenny speak. She had forgotten that she wasn't alone being so consumed with the horse. "Yeah well known her since I was little so she's used to me."
After a few more minutes of stroking her horse in silence Riley looked at the cautious girl. "Would you like to stroke her?"
Jenny's eyes quickly met Riley's in surprise. "Is that okay?"
Smiling slightly Riley nodded her head and grabbed the Irish girls hand. Smooth, she thought embarrassed to be touching someone who wasn't family. She brought her hand up to the horses nose and let it rest there. Jenny's face lit up as Greymist leaned her head forward, seeking comfort. Riley found it hard not to smile.
"She likes you."

Riley and Jenny spent the next 3 hours with the horses, brushing their fur, cleaning their pens and surprisingly chatting. Riley found that she could talk to the girl although Jenny did most of the talking for them both. Riley hated to admit it but she found she didn't completely dislike the girl. That was why on their way home Riley agreed to meet up the next day at the same time.

Riley wasn't surprised to find her Aunt in the kitchen with a frown on her face when she finally got home. "And where have you been young lady? You missed supper!" She scolded her. Riley resisted her urge to roll her eyes knowing it would just make things worse. "Charlie's yard. Sorry." she mumbled as she grabbed bread and butter before sitting down at the table. "Should of known. Keep track of time next time. You had us worried."
Us? I don't think so, Riley thought. Aunt pol tutted as the front door slammed shut meaning one of her brothers was home. Tommy entered and produced a wad of notes and two bags of coins which he placed on the table. Aunt pol took the bag of coins and weighed it in her hand as Riley raised her eyebrow at her older brother. He was on edge she thought reading him.
"A bad week." Aunt pol stated.
Tommy removed his hat, sat down in front of Riley and rubbed his eyes wearily. Aunt Pol began to count the money as Tommy met his sisters eyes. "Where you been?"
Riley narrowed her eyes as her defiant nature reared it's head. Aunt pol she could deal with as she was more of a parental figure. But for some reason Riley found that although Tommy has helped raise her she still disliked how her brother seemed to think he had a right to know her where about's all the time.
"What's it to you?"
Tommy glared at her attitude.
"Riley." He gritted out.
"Tommy." Riley sarcastically replied. He clenched his jaw as he began to lose his patience. "Where. Were. You."
Noticing the look her Aunt was shooting her Riley rolled her eyes. "Charlie's yard." Tommy nodded as his face became blank, a look Riley had mastered.
"Alone?"
Riley frowned in confusion as she wondered why he was suddenly asking that. He had never before asked if she had company.
"No. Someone from school tagged along." Tommy's expression darkened at her words. "A boy?"
Riley smirked as she realised why he was asking. Her older brothers had always been over-protective when it came to boys and had prohibited her from dating until she was 18. Luckily for them, all the boys in Birmingham knew she wasn't to be messed with and so stayed clear. She wasn't really interested in them anyway so she didn't mind. However, what she did mind was that her brothers seemed to think they could control her life. "Maybe. Maybe not." She smirked knowing she was getting under his skin. Sensing the tension Polly interrupted them. "That's enough." They both grudgingly agreed knowing their Aunt wouldn't hesitate to bash their heads together.
"There was no Moon last night. I
looked." Aunt pol said to Tommy changing the subject. Tommy lit a cigarette clearly unconcerned.
"Did you do the right thing?" Aunt Pol asked.
"Yes. I did the right thing." He firmly replied. What are they going on about? Riley thought as she frowned, confused. Aunt Pol stopped counting and stared at him, as did Riley. She can read him like a book, she thought. He was lying but about what Riley had no clue. Tommy ignored their scrutinising gazes and left. Riley regarded her Aunt.
"What's going on Aunt Pol?"
She smiled sympathetically at her niece whilst shaking her head subtly telling her it wasn't her concern. If no one was willingly going to tell her she'd have to find out herself, Riley thought as determination filled her.