A Nightmare and A Wedding

It was unfortunately time to go back to school. Riley didn't look forward to it at all. She wasn't looking forward to the dirty looks or the nasty whispers from students. And she definitely wasn't looking forward to her dickhead teacher who hates her. She was going to miss working in the betting den each day, even if the customer were tossers sometimes. She was gonna miss her and John telling a customer to fuck off when they were getting rude or her banter with Tommy and Arthur. The only upside to going back to school was Jenny. Even though they weren't in the same class, they would still be able to see each other at break and lunch. In fact, Riley said she'd walk to school with Jenny from now on. She found she looked forward to seeing the pretty blonde.

Riley stuffed toast into her mouth as she bid Tommy and her Aunt Pol goodbye. She rushed down the street to see a smiling Jenny waiting for her. "Morning Blue." Jenny affectionately referred to her new nickname for Riley. After Riley had told Jenny about the funny nickname she had for Tommy, Jenny had exclaimed she wanted one for Riley. She had picked Blue because of her quote "beautiful sky blue eyes" which had made Riley blush profusely. "Mofsning Jefns" Riley said with a mouth full of toast making Jenny laugh. Jenny linked their arms together as they to walk to school. "So I heard that Sarah Keaton is pregnant."
Riley had learned that Jenny loved to gossip even if some of the things she heard were questionable as fuck. "Oh and that Ben Stape is going to ask Melanie....."
Riley tuned out the rest of Jenny's gossiping as she wasn't all that interested. That was until she heard her dickhead teachers name mentioned. "Mary said that Mr Green's mother is sick and so he's not going to be able to teach all the time cause he has to look after her, so there's a new teacher coming." Riley only felt slightly bad for the man. At least I wont have to put up with him all the time, Riley thought happily. Both girls parted ways when they reached school and headed to their classes. When Riley sat at her desk, she ignored the looks students gave her. She was disappointed to find that Mr Dickhead, as she liked to call him, was in this morning. "Atenttion class, I have an announcement to make. Due to personal reasons I have decided to go part time meaning in the mornings you will have me as your teacher and in the afternoon you will have someone else."
Huh, at least I have my afternoons dickhead free, Riley thought.  Mary Johnson raised her hand. 
"Yes Mary."
"When will we meet this new teacher?"
"After lunch he will be here to introduce himself and teach class."

At break, some idiots thought it'd be fun to mock Jenny because of her accent, so she roughed them up but other than that the day was uneventful. That was, until after lunch. Riley sat at her desk daydreaming whilst she looked out the window. She could vaguely hear the door knock and someone say that would be the new teacher. Riley couldn't of expected what happened next. She turned her head to the front where a man wearing a black suit and a dog collar stood. He had balding dark brown hair with dull brown eyes which observed the class. It wasn't until he spoke that Riley felt herself stiffen. "Good afternoon class, my name's Father Morris." Riley's heart stopped as she heard the intruding man's name. She felt paralysed. A thumping sound entered her ears as everyone but him faded from her dizy sight. She didn't even hear her name being called until Ben Stape nudged her arm. Riley blinked.
"Miss Shelby introduce yourself to Father Morris like everyone else."
Riley felt her fists clench as everyone's eyes landed on her.
"Miss Shelby we're waiting."
Sweat dripped down her back as her breath escaped her. His revolting gaze swept over her making her feel sick.  I can't breath, Riley thought. Abruptly,  Riley jumped out of her seat, startling the room. She ran out the door, muttering that she didn't feel well and ignored her teacher's shouts of protest. This isn't happening, Riley repeated in her head. As soon as she entered the girl's bathroom, she emptied her stomach into the nearest toilet. When she finished, she slid down the cubicle door and brought her knees to her chest. Her body trembled as flashes of the man in her class invade her mind. Tears silently rolled down her face.
"It isn't real. It's not real." Riley urgently said trying to convince herself it was all a bad dream. That these memories and that man weren't real but all a huge nightmare her mind had conjured up.
Riley spent the next hour and a half stuck in that cold, damp bathroom stall. Once the bell rang, she calmed herself down and left the school as soon as possible, not waiting for Jenny. She knew everyone must of heard about her freak out by now and she couldn't be bothered to answer Jenny's questions. She went straight to her room when she got home and curled up under her blanket shivering. She tried to keep her mind as blank as possible as she didn't want to think about what she would do now he was teaching at her school. The sick thing is he didn't even seem to remember her. Although that was probably for the best as she didn't want to think about what would happen when and/or if he did remember.

"Riley, sweetie you awake?" Aunt Pol asked as she opened the door. Riley remain silent from under her covers feeling as though they were a barrier against the outside world and it's troubles.
"Riley we need to get ready there's a wedding happening."
"Whose?" Riley asked hoarsely. Aunt Pol frowned at the sound of her voice. "John's. Tommy promised him to a Lee girl so that there would be peace. Are you okay sweetheart? You sound ill."
Of course Tommy would set their brother up behind their backs, she thought irritably. She reluctantly sat up, not wanting to miss her brother's wedding, however unconventional it may be. Aunt Pol placed her hand on Riley's forehead looking for a temperature. "I'm fine. Just a long first day back."
"I can't feel a temperature but are you sure?"
Riley half smiled at her motherly concern. "I'm sure Aunt Pol." She smiled at her niece and kissed her head. "Ok well up you get. Ada's agreed to come and we're meant to pick her up in 15 minutes."
Riley nodded her head. She looked forward to seeing her only sister as she felt it had been forever since she last did. She quickly put her shirt and trousers on even though Aunt Pol wasn't happy that she wouldn't wear a dress. It was a bloody gyspy wedding in a field, they won't care, Riley had argued. She did however let her Aunt style her hair and put some eyeshadow on her. They arrived on time to see the ceremony. After Tommy spoke with Ada he switched his attention to his other sister, who despite the makeup, looked paler than usual. "You alright Ri?" Tommy quietly asked her. He stood to her right as Arthur stood to her left. "Fine." She curtly answered annoyed as that was the third time she'd been asked. Ada had asked her on the car ride over sensing something off about her.  Before he could question her further, cheers erupted from the crowd as the newly weds kissed. Riley escaped in the rush to party. She need a drink. 

The night was dark, however, dancing and singing raged. Riley had managed to get herself tipsy. She could tell she had a drink but she wasn't a stumbling mess like most of the men were. Arthur and the other men drank as fast as they could with some even vomiting making Riley wince, thinking back to the bathroom stall earlier today. She had managed to avoid Tommy all night, remaining on the outskirts of the party sat down as she drank alone. She watched as the men shot their guns and fireworks exploded. She didn't notice Tommy had approached her until he yanked the bottle of whiskey out of her hand. "What you doing out here on your own?" He asked as he drank the whiskey and sat down next to her to watch the show. Riley shrugged her shoulders. "Needed some quiet. What bout you?"
Tommy eyed her closely. "Same."
Silence fell between them as they watched the last of the fire works. "You gonna tell me why you've been avoiding me all night."
Riley needed an excuse and quick. She was still trying to forget what happened earlier that day and didn't want an interrogation.
"I'm not avoiding you."
That was pathetic, Riley thought frowning. Tommy scoffed.
"We both know that's a lie."
Riley shuffled, feeling uncomfortable by his intense gaze. She hated how he can easily read her. She was well known for keeping her emotions hidden. No one but him could tell what she was thinking unless she wanted them to know. Riley knew the only way to get him off her back was if she distracted him. So she quickly stood and offered him her hand.
"Wanna dance?" she asked smirking. Tommy sent her an almost identical smirk.
"This conversation isn't over."
He took her hand and followed her to the bonfire where people danced wildly. Tommy spun her around makin her smile which made him smile too. Tommy knew something was bothering her but decided to drop it for the night. And as she danced with her brother surrounded by her family, everything was okay.