Remember (Republished)

Riley knew she couldn't keep skipping school forever. The risk of being caught by someone who knew her or the school ringing home was too high. So Riley had come up with a plan. She would go to school in the mornings and at lunch she would climb out the girl's bathroom window, which led to a back alley. This way she would be registered in the morning but wouldn't have to see that bastard in the afternoons when he was teaching her class. It would work. Probably.

Riley hadn't seen Jenny the last 2 days and she felt bad for ditching the beautiful blonde. She hoped that whilst she walked to school she might bump into her, which is why Riley smiled when she caught sight of long golden hair blowing in the wind. Riley jogged to catch up with the lonesome girl. "Jenny!"
Said girl turned her head towards the familiar sound of her best friend. Riley soon matched Jenny's pace.
"Hey Riley." Jenny meekly smiled back at Riley causing the Shelby girl to frown. Something seemed different about her. It wasn't obvious but Riley could tell the girl was tired from the redness underneath her eyes. Her smile also only lasted a few seconds which was very unlike the bright and cheerful girl Riley knew.
"You okay?" Riley asked concerned but Jenny appeared to not hear as she kept her head down whilst they walked. "Jenny?"
Finally she snapped out of it and looked towards the worried Riley.
"Huh?"
"I said you okay?"
"Oh yeah. Yeah! I'm fine!"
Riley didn't believe her but didn't want to push it.
"Where you been the last couple days?" Jenny asked.
"Oh you know. Here and there."
It wasn't like it was the first time she'd skipped school and it definitely wouldn't be the last. Riley expected Jenny to ask more questions like she usually did but instead she just nodded her head and continued to walk with her head down. Maybe it's to do with her brother Peter. Riley had planned to mention her Father's sudden reappearance but thought better as it appeared the girl had enough on her mind as it was. Besides, Riley knew she would talk when she was ready and so she kept her mouth shut until they reached the school gates.

Riley cleared her throat as for the first time awkward silence filled the air. "I'm not going to be here after lunch just so you know."
Jenny lifted her head to scan the playground full of screaming children entering the school, avoiding Riley eyes.
"Alright see you later then."
"Yeah... see you later..."
Riley mumbled as her clearly troubled friend walked to class. When Riley didn't see Jenny at break she decided to ask Mary Johnson if she knew where she was. She said she was being tutored in her spare time now because her grades were bad. Disappointed, Riley had spent the rest of break sat on her bench, with her signiture glare on her face, scowling at anyone who dared to catch her eye. By the time it was lunch, Riley was near enough ready to shoot herself from boredom. She didn't even know why she turned up when the teacher kept going over things she already knew.

Quickly, Riley made her way to the girl's bathroom not wanting to spend another second in this hell hole. Unfortunately, in her rush she hadn't properly looked at where she was going, causing her to crash into someone. Falling to the floor Riley opened her mouth to curse at the idiot that had gotten in her way. However, when she lifted her head, her breath escaped her.
"That's why you shouldn't run in the halls."
Father Morris.
Her face fell as she looked at his imposing figure. He was looking at her like a predator would his prey. And she felt like she was prey. Only he could do this to her. Make her feel helpless and afraid. Riley flinched slightly as he offered her his hand.
"What are you doing gorping girl? Come on! Up you get."
There's was no way she was touching his digusting hand. Instead she stood up on her own with shaking legs. She cursed when she realised that no one else was in the hallway with them. They were alone. Shit.
"Well are you not going to apologise?" His rough voice asked. Riley clenched her fists to stop them from trembling. Her heart beat erratically in her ears as she tried to avoid eye contact. "Well?"
Sucking in enough air to get the wrenched words out, Riley mumbled. "I'm...Sorry." Riley had never felt so much difficulty in her life to say such little words.
"Hmm. No harm done I suppose. You're the Shelby girl correct?"
Riley paled. Please don't recognise me. Please don't recognise me. If he did....Riley didn't even want to think about it. "Quite shy aren't you?"
Riley remained silent.
"Well run along..."
Suddenly Riley felt his hand on her head, causing her eyes to widen in shock. "Darling" he whispered as he walked away.
Riley ran. She ran like she'd never ran before. She didn't stop until she reached the window in the girl's bathroom. She made sure no one was in the stalls before squeezing through. Once her feet touched the cobbled back alley, Riley gasped for air. She felt sick. Her stomach clenched with anxiety and fear as tears left her eyes.
Darling.
He remembers.