Arthur J Shelby Senior (republished)

Riley entered the Garrison hoping to get a drink behind her brother's backs before she went home. It had been a few days since the incident at school and Riley had done her best to avoid thinking about it by drowning her sorrow in alcohol. Unfortunately for her, Tommy was already at the bar. So much for that. She sighed as sat on the stool next to him. "So I hear Arthur is still following our father around like a lost puppy?"
Tommy glances at her as he poured himself another whisky.
"Arthur likes the idea of a father. That man will eventually let him down like he usually does and Arthur will come running back with his tail between his legs."
Riley noticed the tension she had caused from mentioning the bastard hence changed the subject.
"How's it going with the barmaid?"
Even though Riley had her suspicions about the woman, she could tell there was a change in Tommy recently. Like he was happier? Softer? Riley wasn't sure but she could definitely see her old Tommy peeking through his cold exterior the last couple of weeks.
Tommy side eyed her with a smirk from his whisky glass as he raised it to his lips.
"We're not having this conversation Riley."
"What? Why not?"
"You don't even like her."
Riley rolled her eyes.
"No, that's not true. I don't trust her. There's a difference."
"Whatever Ri. We're still not having this conversation."
She smirked as she realised he wasn't going to even let her try and tease him tonight.
"You're no fun Tom-cat."
Tommy's smirk widens.
"What about you eh?"
"Huh? What do you mean 'what about me?'" Riley asked confused.
"You and that Jenny girl."
Riley paled. Shit. Shit. Shit!
"You mean my friend Jenny."
She made a point to emphasise 'friend'.
He paused as he studied her expression, which caused Riley to sweat slightly. I don't want him to know. What if he rejects me? Disowns me?
Instead he just chuckled as he swigged his drink.
"Yes. Okay Riley. Your friend."
Relief swept through her as he doesn't seem to hint at anything else. Riley deflates as she thinks about Jenny's behaviour recently.
"She's been acting....strange"
"How so?"
"Just distant is all. Think somethings bothering her but she won't tell me so..."
Seeing his sister's deeply upset expression of obvious worry for the girl, he offers her reassurance.
"I wouldn't worry about it. She'll come to you when she's ready."
Riley nods her head and quickly nicks a gulp from his whisky, earning her a clip round the ear and a snort from her.

Riley turned her eyes to her left as she noticed a man sit down next to her. Far to close to comfort in her opinion as well.
"There's plenty of other seats mate. Go find one."
"Ay, but none next to the infamous Shelby's."
Tommy and Riley tensed at his strong Irish accent. Tommy placed his hand onto Riley's arm protectively.
"Mr Shelby?" The man asked as he looked past Riley to her brother.
"Whose asking?"
"My name is Byrne. I had word from your man in Camden Town that you wanted to parley."
Camden Town as in London? Since when was Tommy involved with them lot?
"Then parley it is." Tommy evenly replied.
Riley made eye contact with Tommy as he uttered her name.
"Riley go home and no detours you hear me?"
"Tom-"
"Home Riley."
Riley huffed as she reluctantly stood up to leave.
"Now, now, Mr Shelby let the pretty girl stay eh?"
Both glared at the man who clearly didn't care about how young she was. Although, the edlest's was far more cold. Tommy kept eye contact with the perverted Irish man as he spoke to Riley in her opinion, a no bullshit tone.
"I'll meet you at home afterwards Riley. Now go."
She sent the smirking man a revolted look as she left with a nod at her brother's words. She didn't want to spend another second in that repulsive man's presence.

Light rain fell as Riley dragged her cold body home. The foggy streets seemed even more dark than usual to Riley's tired eyes. She decided to head straight home after the debacle in the pub as she couldn't be bothered to rile Tommy up by fucking about to make herself late. However, it seemed the universe didn't give a shit what Riley wanted that day as just as she was about to turn to her street, the last person she wanted to see appeared from the mist.
"Hello Riley girl. What you doing wondering around at this hour?" Her father asked her with a fake friendly smile.
Riley bristled at the man.
"Not that it's any of your business but I was on my way home. So kindly fuck off."
Ha! That wiped the smile off his face. Riley gave herself a silent pat on the back in triumph as she walked past him.
"Quite the tongue you got there my girl."
Riley froze before she spun around to get into his face. "I'm. Not. Your. Girl. Arthur."
He glared back, evident anger on his face.
"I'd watch yourself lass. You should show your father some respect."
"You have to earn my respect and you 'father' lost that privilege the day you abandoned this family."
Suddenly, he grabbed her face in his vice like grip. Oh fuck no!
"This attitude of yours will get you into some serious trouble one day."
She clawed her nails into his wrist which held her face.
"I look forward to it. Now get your fucking hands off me." She spat, hatred laced into every word.
He smirked as he let go of her, which caused her to stumble back.
"You remind me of your brothers. Arthur's rage, John's violence,Tommy's coldness."
"I'll take that as a compliment." She sneers, as she clenched her fists at his amused face.
"Heh. You shouldn't. One day those brothers of yours will get you killed."
Riley remained silent as he began to walk away.
"Goodbye, Riley. May God have mercy on your soul."
Riley knew that was the last time she would probably see Arthur.J.Shelby Senior, again.

As soon as Riley walked through the door Tommy pounced on her.
"Riley Anna Shelby where the fuck have you been?!"
She didn't say anything just kept her eyes on the floor. He'll get even more mad if he finds out I saw our Father. Tommy paused at his sister's silence. Normally by now she would shout back at him with excuses.
He studied her closely to see she appeared flustered and upset.
"Riley? What's wrong?" He asked concerned that something bad had happened that caused her to be late home.
"Nothing Tom. I'm tired imma go to bed." She muttered still looking at the floor. Riley tried to move to the stairs but Tommy grabbed her arm which caused her to flinch. Tommy furrowed his brows.
"No. Riley. Something's up. Whats happened?"
She finally met his eyes, her's showing her exhaustion.
"Nothing. I promise. I just don't feel well and would like to go to bed ok?"
Tommy was reluctant but could see she was tired and he couldn't be bothered to argue.
"Alright but I'm still annoyed that you're late."
Riley cracked him a half arsed smirk.
"Worried were you Tom-cat?"
"Shut it you." Tommy huffed as he rolled his eyes at her teasing.
"Thanks Tommy."
Perplexed as to why she was thanking him he asked.
"For what?"
"For caring."
Tommy frowned at the vunerable look in her eyes. He looked shocked but quickly recovered and cleared his throat.
"Of course I care. Now fuck off to bed."
She smiled half heartedly as he kissed her forehead goodnight.
Love you to Tommy.