Warmth

Riley knocked on Jenny's door surprised when a boy who looked no older than 20 years old opened it.  He had the same golden blonde hair and green eyes as Jenny leading to Riley to conclude that this was her brother, Peter. He had his arm lazily leant against the doorway, obstructing Riley's view inside the house with an expression of annoyance on his face, as if the meer action of answering the door was a waste of his time.
"What do you want?" Peter rudely demanded.
Riley kept her face blank, not wanting him to think his attitude affected her.
"Jenny in?"
"What's it to you?"
Is he serious? Riley's eyebrow twitched breaking her mask of indifference.
"Listen hear you-"
"Riley!" Jenny's glowing face abruptly appeared under his arm, luckily interrupting her before she could finish. Hearing her name seemed to have affected Peter as he stiffened and straightened himself up with narrowing eyes.
"Ain't you that peaky lass?"
"What's it to you?" Riley smirked proud that she had beat him at his own game as she watched him scowl at her.
"Ignore him. Come up to my room!" Jenny quickly grabbed her arm dragging her upstairs. Riley became hesitant as she didn't want to intrude by asking to stay over so unexpectedly.
"So i was wondering if, I mean if its okay with your parents, if I could sleepover?"
Jenny smiled brightly as she sat down on her bed with Riley.
"Yes! Of course! My parents will be fine with it."
"Thanks. I can sleep on the floor-"
"Don't be silly! There's plenty of room for us both on my bed."
Riley blushed, silently rejoicing that she got to sleep next to Jenny. That was until she realised she might experience one of her god awful nightmares. I'll just have to try and stay awake. Riley suddenly felt a warm hand on her own causing her to swiftly refocus on Jenny's worried gaze.
"Where were you after school? I heard you walked out of class."
Of course she has, I bet the whole school now knows about the Shelby girls freak out. Not wanting to talk about it or think of it, Riley replied.
"I wasn't feeling well, so i went home. Sorry I didn't tell you."
Jenny obviously felt better knowing it wasn't anything serious but her gaze still held concern for her best friend.
"It's fine! Are you okay now though?"
Riley grimaced feeling guilty for lying but she definitely wasn't going to tell her or anyone else for that matter the truth about the real reason she ran out of lesson.
"Yeah."
Liar! Her subconscious screamed at her. Wanting to move on from the subject, Riley amusingly smirked at her friend. "So I'm guessing that was Peter downstairs glaring daggers at me."
Jenny sighed.
"The one and only. Sorry about him by the way. Don't know what his problem is."
Riley chuckled.
"Don't worry about it I've had much worse from my own brother's."
Jenny smiled slightly but it was obvious her brother's behaviour had upset her. Riley hesistantly lifted her hand to put a stray piece of the blondes locks behind her ear. Startled, Jenny looked up into Riley's blue eyes, which were shockingly the softest she'd ever seen them.
"Really Jen, it's ok. If it really bothers you so much I could always go down and punch him a few times until he apologises."
This time Jenny's smile was genuine.
"That won't be necessary but I'll keep it in mind."
Riley smiled aswell as she gazed at her best and only friend's beautiful face. Riley knew her thoughts on the Irish girl weren't that of a normal friend, which admittedly scared her, especially as it could end up with her behind bars. But as she sat in the comfort of Jenny's warm room, Riley decided that she didn't care about what the law said. Being a Shelby pretty much meant you were indanger of being arrested most days anyway, what difference did some feeling make in the end.

Riley stood up and began to remove her jacket and trousers. Jennys eyes widened comically as she stuttered red faced. "W-what are y-you -doing?!"
Rasing her brows as if it were obvious riley bluntly replied. "Getting ready for bed."
"Oh right erm I'll just get you some of my pajamas!" She hastily said as she rushed to her draws. Riley smirked amused at her embrassment. After they both got changed, they layed in bed staring intensely at eachother. Glancing at Riley's lips Jenny shyly whispered.
"We should get some sleep."
"I don't sleep. My mind is quite dark and scary." Riley mumbled. Jenny's brows furrowed in concern.
"You're afraid of your dreams?"
"Yes" she whispers so softly it was a miracle Jenny heard her.
"Don't worry, if you get scared I'll be here." Jenny stated as she linked their hands.
"Promise?"
"Promise."
Jenny kept her promise when Riley woke up from a nightmare of unwelcome hands attacking her. Breathing heavily with tears and sweat streaming down her face, Jenny grabbed Riley's face trying to calm the panicked girl. "Shhh. Shhh. It's okay. You're okay. It was just a nightmare."
If only it were, Riley tearfully thought. "I'm sorry, I woke you up. You must think I'm pathetic."
Jenny's expression became stoney at her words. "Never apologise for being upset. And don't ever think that I could think of you as pathetic." Jenny affectionately cupped Riley's face. "I think you're the most strong, kind and brave person I've ever met. Don't ever think you're not okay?"
A lone tear fell down Riley's cheek. "I don't believe you."
Jenny smiled as she wiped Riley's tears. "You will, one day but until that day comes I'll believe it enough for us both."
Riley didn't know how to respond to such caring and honest words. She hadn't felt such warmth and affection in a long time. Her family of course loved and cared about her but they weren't really the hugging or touching kind of family, which had never bothered Riley as neither was she. But as she was guided to lay down with her head on Jennys chest, she wished it would never end. "Can you sing?" Riley whispered knowing she needed something to get her mind off of her horror filled thoughts."Sure."
"High in the halls of the kings who are gone
Jenny would dance with her ghosts
The ones she had lost and the ones she had found
And the ones who had loved her the most

The ones who'd been gone for so very long
She couldn't remember their names
They spun her around on the damp old stones
Spun away all her sorrow and pain

And she never wanted to leave, never wanted to leave, never wanted to leave, never wanted to leave..."