Erratic Hearts

The next day Riley made the point to hang around the school entrance at hometime to catch Jenny. She hadn't properly seen the girl for the last week and even when she did, it was like Jenny wasn't really there. She would stare off into space with a blank, almost pained, look in her eyes. She had wanted to wait to see if she would tell her herself what was wrong but at this point Riley realised that wasn't going to happen.  Instead she was just going to have to confront her. Gently that is, but all the same Riley had enough of this secretive bullshit. It was bad enough her family seemed to be keeping more and more things from her each day that passed, let alone her only friend.

Riley made sure to stay hidden from her classmates behind a wall as she waited for the pretty blonde who had enthralled the Shelby girl, to walk past. After half an hour passed Riley considered giving up and going home but right when she was about to leave, Jenny came walking out the gates. Riley found a smile involuntarily made its when onto her face at the sight of her. However, as she got closer that smile faltered as she took in Jenny's troubled expression.  Riley touched her arm to get her attention, only for Jenny to flinch away from her touch.
"Hey Jen."
On edge green eyes met soft blue and almost instantly they relaxed.
"Hey..."
She's still quiet, Riley thought with her eyebrows furrowing in concern.
"Wanna hang out for a bit? Felt like we haven't properly spoken in forever."
Jenny seemed to contemplate Rileys request for quite sometime, making the Shelby girl nervous of rejection. Luckily, Jenny lightly smiled and nodded her head allowing for Riley to link there arm as she guided them to her Uncle Charlie's yard. The walk was mostly full of Riley apologising for not being around and Jenny reassuring her it was fine.

After saying hello to Curly and Charlie both girls approached the eager Greymists pen.
"Hey Girl. Have you missed us?"
The horse pushed her nose into Rileys palm as her answer.
"Gonna take that as a yes." Riley chuckled.
She glanced at the once again quiet Jenny. "We boring you?" Riley joked.
Jenny blinked, surprised. "Huh? Oh no sorry."
Riley grabbed her hand leading her to a stack of hay that made a comfy seat.She kept there hands joined as she ran her thumb comfortingly across it.
"You know if something is wrong, you can always talk to me about it. I won't judge you or tell anyone if you don't want me too." Riley softly said as she tried to catch Jenny's eyes. When Jenny remained silent she sighed.
"Jenny... please look at me."
Both girls were surprised it would seem at the emotional whisper that came forth from Riley. Full of heartache and powerlessness. So much so that she finally met her eyes.
"Riley....."
She cupped Jenny's cheek, causing the blonde to lean into her touch, closing her eyes. Moving closer Jenny opened her eyes when she felt Rileys breath grace her lips. "You have no idea how much it hurts having you be so distant..."
"Blue..."
"What?" Riley whispered.
Jennys breath hitched as Riley's red lips moved closer to her own pink. "I care about you too..."
This time it was Riley's breath that hitched as she moved her eyes to Jenny plump lips.
Fuck it.
Suddenly, Riley closed the distance between them, clashing there lips together. Riley couldn't describe how amazing it felt to finally be kissing the girl who'd wormed her way into her heart. She couldn't get enough of the feeling of her soft lips on her chapped ones and her delicate hands gliding down her neck. Riley's hands couldn't bring her close enough to her as her heart beat erratically. Maybe it lasted a minute, maybe an hour. However long it wasn't enough.

Jenny abruptly pulled away as she jumped to her feet. Her breathing unstable, her face red. Stumbling, Jenny tried to catch her breath as Riley sat in shock of what she just did. "I.. we....we..." Jenny incoherently repeated. Regaining herself Riley stood trying to approach the rapidly panicking Jenny.
"Jenny, it okay."
"No! No! Nothing is okay! We shouldn't of done that! I shouldn't of done that!"
Hurt flared in Riley's chest at her words.
"What..?"
"I'm sorry Riley I just ...can't! I've gotta go."
Jenny spluttered before she ran.
"Jenny wait!" Riley shouted desperately. She was already gone.