Pretend

That night Riley had woken up multiple times after Jenny's singing sent her to sleep. However, she luckily didn't wake Jenny up again. Riley knew she looked quite the state with big dark bags under her bleak eyes and pale face which is why she wasn't in the mood for Tommy when she came home that morning.
"You look..."
"Beautiful I know. Can we move on?"
Tommy rolled his eyes.
Before he could say anything else, Aunt Pol burst into the house and walked straight to the sink ignoring them both. She obviously still thinks it was Tommy who told the police about Freddie. Riley had to reframe from rolling her eyes at her angry Aunt.
"Did you speak to her?" Tommy asked as he stood next to the kitchen cupboard.
"She didn't speak back." She replied coldly.
"Well, did you tell her?" He asked frustrated.
"I'll only tell her what I know to be true." Aunt Pol replied as she began to boil the kettle.
"It's the last time I am going to say this. It wasn't me who shopped Freddie Thorne." Tommy exasperatedly states.
Aunt Pol's eyes turned to Riley who watched them both silently.
"I can't believe you're on his side." Aunt Pol exclaimed to her.
This time Riley did roll her eyes.
"I'm 'on his side' because I know he didn't do it"
"And how do you know that?" Aunt Pol mockingly asked.
"Because he's not this malicious, evil being you seem to think he is."
Tommy didn't show it but he was incredibly grateful aswell as touched that his sister had so much faith in him, unlike the rest of the family. Aunt Pol huffed at her reply before she turned her attention back to Tommy.
"Tommy I'd ask you to swear on the Bible, but you can't swear on that, can you? Nothing you hold is sacred." Aunt Pol states before storming off.
"Amen to that." Riley chuckled as she raised her tea cup to toast. Tommy ignored her as he sat to light a cigarette.
"Guess that answers the question of if you sorted it then."
He again ignored her leading Riley to smirk as she buttered some bread with jam.
"You eaten today?" She asked already knowing his answer.
"I've have things to do."
Riley rolled her eyes and slammed the jammed bread infront of him.
"Eat."
Tommy smirked, amused at her concern for him but complied with her demand. Riley watched him which caused Tommy to raise his brows questionably at her.
"Shouldn't you be at school."
"Shouldn't you be capable of looking after yourself?" Riley quickly replied not wanting to think about school and what she was going to do now that HE was back. Her face must of shown her discomfort as Tommy asked.
"You alright?"
"I'm perfect." She curtly replied. Tommy furrowed his brows obviously not believing her.
"Are you lying to me?"
Riley smirked.
"Well that depends on how you define lying."
Tommy sat back in his chair, finished with the food and mirrored her expression.
"I define it as not telling the truth. How do you define it?"
"Reclining your body in a horizontal position."
There are a few seconds of silence between the siblings before Tommy cracked a grin and point his finger at her face.
"School. Now."
"Sir yes sir!" She mockingly replied saluting him. As she left, Riley knew she wasn't going to school today. Not while that bastard was there.

Riley spent the day and the next, walking around Small Heath trying to avoid her brother's and their associates. She also snuck into Charlie's yard to see Greymist as she knew if her uncle or Curly saw her she'd be in for it missing school.
Currently, Riley layed in her bed trying to read but found her mind wandered to a certain green eyed blonde, who she hadn't seen the last two days. It wasn't for lack of trying but every time at 4pm when she went to her house, Jenny's mother would tell her that she was still at school doing extra studying.
"Riley get down here now!" Arthur shouted.
"Keep your hair on I'm coming!" Riley shouted back, annoyed that he had interrupted her daydream. As she walked into the kitchen, Riley could sense the tension in the air. It appeared the cause of this was a tall, aging man with a scruffy beard. Suddenly, the stranger engulfed Riley in what seemed to be a hug, although Riley kept her arms stiffly at her sides. The man stepped back and smiled however the smile wavered as he saw Riley's obvious confusion.
"Am I supposed to know you?" Riley asked highly confused and uncomfortable.
"You really don't know who I am?"
"You'd think the confused looks and me asking who you are would have answered that for you."
John chuckled where as Arthur cleared his throat awkwardly as Aunt Pol approached Riley to rub her arm affectionately.
"Sweetheart this is your father, Arthur Senior."
Riley's face fell as an icy rage erupted in her.
"What the fuck is he doing here." She hissed. Her 'father' stepped back quite shocked at the coldness in her eyes and voice. John stepped forward and wrapped his arm around her, clearly not impressed with his father turning up either.
"Oi Riley..." Arthur junior shouted.
"It's alright son. She's tough this one. Got spunk just like her mother."
The blood drained from Riley face at the mention of her mother. Riley didn't know much about her as every time she asked her Aunt or brother's would change the subject. Riley began to wonder if maybe she could use him to find out about her. Whilst she was thinking, her so called father had helped himself to some bread and cheese.
"Bless you father for the bounties we are about to receive."
"Jesus Christ." Aunt Pol groaned which amused Riley as she could see he tested her Aunt's patience.
"Please woman not in vain."
"Finish your sandwich and sling your hook." Aunt Pol demanded as she pointed to the door.
"Pollyanna. I'm the guest of the head of this family, so why don't you tend to your mangle or your scuttle?"
"The head of the family ain't here." Riley scowled at her father's disrespect for her Aunt Pol. Arthur senior turned his attention to his oldest who picked at the table too ashamed to look his father in the eye.
"Tommy he sometimes helps me with the business."
Riley couldn't bring herself to feel sorry for her brother as she was too busy trying not to lash out at the man who abandoned his children. Like he knew he was being spoken about, Tommy entered the room which caused the tension to thicken.
"Ah well speak of the devil. How are you, son?"
"Get out."
Riley could see the anger in Tommy's eyes towards their father.
"Come on, son. I'm a changed man."
"This family needed you ten years ago when you walked out. Not now. Get out of this house."
"Tommy he's different." Arthur tried but Tommy didn't want to hear it.
"You shut up."
"Come on me boy, your sister just remembered me. Atleast let me spend some time with her." Riley wrinkled her face in digust at his words as Tommy eyes moved to hers. She could see that what he had said had angered Tommy even further.
"No. fucking. way."
"Tommy-"
"It's alright son. Arthur Shelby never stays where he is not welcome."
Arthur senior stood up and grabbed his coat. He approached Riley and tried to caress her face but she swiftly grabbed his wrist before he could. John tightened his arm around her protectively.
He recovered and proceeded to leave as he ruffled Finn's hair along the way. "Quite something you've become."
"He's our dad." Arthur angrily argued once he had left.
"He's a selfish bastard."
"You calling someone a selfish bastard? That's a bit rich, Tommy. I mean, thanks to you we're already down a bloody sister."
"If you want to see him Arthur you can go with him." Arthur hesitated before he stormed out. John kissed his youngest sisters forehead before he left himself to go after Finn along with Aunt Pol. Tommy, frustrated poured himself a whiskey.
"Surprised you didn't follow them all."
Riley was shocked he would think she wanted anything to do with the man.
"Seriously? You think I want to spend time with him? He abandoned us. I don't want anything to do with the wanker."
"Language."
Riley rolled her eyes at him and sat down opposite his standing. She studied him. She could see their father's reappearance had affected him more than he was letting on.
"You know what I used to pretend?" Tommy met her gaze giving her his attention as he took a swig of his drink.
"That he was dead."
"That'll be the day."
"I'm serious Tom. It was easier for me that way then to wonder why he left us."
Tommys expression softened at her confession. Riley appeared vunerable but also numb, like she was so used to the pain of their father's leaving, that she had become immune to it all. Tommy moved forward to brush her dark, wild hair softly to which she cracked a bitterweet smile.
"He mentioned mum." Riley cautiously stated knowing he wasn't going to like her mentioning their mother.
"Did he now." Tommy evenly replied.
"Yeah he did."
"What about her Riley?"
"You know I have no memories of her. It just...blank." Riley exclaimed as she wanted her brother to understand her.
"You were very young when she died."
"Its not fair." Riley quietly mumbled.
"What is?" Tommy asked confused.
"That you all got to spend enough time with her that you have memories. I would do anything to just have one. I'm sure Finn feels the same. But you lot never talk about her and when I ask, you all shut me down."
"It's in the past." Tommy sighed.
Riley raised her voice as she met his gaze.
"Your past. But not mine. I just...it would be nice to have an idea about what mum was like is all."
He could see how upset she was about it so Tommy sighed and ruffled the girls hair again.
"I get it Ri. I'll speak to everyone about it. Let them know it's what you want."
Surprised, Riley smiled at him, happy that he understood where she was coming from.
"Thank you Tom-cat."